Tuesday, February 16, 2016

TAST 2016 Stitch 29

TAST 29: Barb Stitch


This was a fun stitch for me. One of my crazy quilting go-to stitches is the buttonhole stitch. The barb stitch expands on the buttonhole stitch. 

To keep my stitches even, I used an edge of one of Sharon B.'s Crazy Quilting Templates Set 2 and traced the "barbs" on the pink fabric. The stitches on the black were done without the template, just following the spacing from the pink side. 

I worked the buttonhole stitches along both sides with size 8 Anchor #052 pink pearl cotton. I whipped the center section together with size 8 Anchor black pearl cotton. 

To dress the seam up a bit, I added French knots and straight stitches to both sides using more of the size 8 Anchor black pearl cotton on the pink fabric and size 8 DMC #605 pink pearl cotton on the black fabric.

TAST stands for Take a Stitch Tuesday. It is a personal stitching challenge offered by Sharon B. on Facebook and on her blog, pintangle.com. You may read more about it hereIf you follow the TAST Facebook group, you know there are some incredibly inspiring examples of these stitches being shared. Anyone may join at any time during the challenge. Thank you, Sharon, for offering TAST!

Thank you for stopping by!
Renee


12 comments:

Heather said...

I love it with the extra bits! Very pretty!

Christine B said...

This is a beautiful seam Renee and a fabulous use of the barb stitch! Christine x

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

You embellished a plain stitch into a very beautiful seam treatment. It turned out great.

Wanted to ask you if you send your postcards in a clear sleeve and if so where do you get them. I want to do a postcard, but not until I get a sleeve.
xx, Carol

Katie said...

Oh I love how you added touches. Beautiful!

KimM said...

Looks awesome! Love the way the knots livin' up the main stitch.
xxx

PatQuilts said...

Thank you, Renee, for showing and telling us exactly what you did. I don't think I could have figured out this started as two rows of Barb Stitch. I appreciate all the effort you put into your blog posts. Your work is beautiful!

lynn cockrell said...

What lovely stitching! The contrasting colors of the floss are very nice together with the contrasting fabrics.

Anonymous said...

That turned out to be very pretty. I like the extra embellishments you did. Makes me want to try the barbed stitch and dress it up, too!

Renee said...

Thank you, Pat and Lynn!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

It's always fun to see the way you dress up the basic stitches and create something that's uniquely your own. I really like this version.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

I have yet to try the barb stitch. Nice seeing yours which is very nicely done.

crazyQstitcher said...

You have created a beautiful seam around the Barb stitch.