Saturday, June 30, 2018

Fractal White Tiger June 2018

This is more of a May update than a June update. Although no progress was made on my Charting Creations Fractal White Tiger project in April or in June, I did manage to add 1,603 stitches to it in May. 

There are 30 pages charted for this piece. It runs 5 pages across and 6 pages down. Pages 1, 2, 6 and 7 are complete. Now I am working across pages 11 and 12, filling in more of the nose and the face beneath the eye.

As I have not picked up a needle since I last worked on this piece (on May 8th), I am going through stitching withdrawals. It is my hope to have a lot of progress to share next month!

Thank you for visiting!

I began this piece on January 1, 2016 to participate at This is 93 days of stitching progress.

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Treasure Chest Sketch

I think I am finally back! (How I have missed you all!)

This photo includes copies of two sketches I have used to add treasure chests to some of my under-the-sea (UTS) embroidery projects.

I have scanned the page, saved it in a PDF format, and made it available as a shared document through Google Drive. This link should allow you to access and print the PDF file. 

I usually color fabric with crayons and add embroidery and small beads to create treasure chests, as seen on this under-the-sea 'snowball' created for Barbara Nicki Lee in 2014. (The original blog post is here.)

Click any photo for a larger view.

In January 2015, I used the short and long stitch (needle painting) with single strands of embroidery floss to create this treasure chest on a block for Barbara Nicki Lee. Stem stitches were used to outline the chest. This method took over 12-hours, but it was fun! (The original post is here.)

That same month, I traced this treasure chest onto white denim with a black Micron pen. I colored the fabric and added beads to complete the chest. Additional embroidery stitches and embellishments were used to finish the scene. (The purse this is featured on may be seen here.)

In January of 2016, I colored a treasure chest on white fabric. I colored the surrounding fabric blue. Then, I cut the treasure chest out, leaving 1/4-inch seam allowance on all sides. I carefully ironed the 1/4-inch seam allowance behind the treasure chest. Then, I adhered the piece to a round robin block for Mary Beard with a slip stitch. Once it was in place, I stem stitched the outline and added beads for gems and jewelry. Additional stitches and embellishments were added to help the chest blend in with Mary's block. (The original blog post is here.)

In August of 2015, I created this crazy quilt block, featuring a treasure chest colored onto a section of the fabric, for an under-the-sea round robin. (You may see that blog post here.)

And this is how it returned in 2016. Sandy Black embellished it for me, and I love the way she dressed it up! (The blog post shared when my blocks returned home may be found here. The wall quilt I created with this block was shared here.)

In July, I will create a project featuring a treasure chest and I will be sure to share step-by-step details of how it is created.

If you decide to create an embroidered piece featuring one of these treasure chest sketches, please let me know! I would love to see what you create and would happily share a photo of your work.

Thank you for stopping by!

Friday, June 1, 2018

June 2018

June is here already!

My goals for June are simple.

I aim to share at least one blog post a week.
Those will include the progress made on QS Red Hearts in April
and made on Fractal White Tiger in May.

My only other goal in June is to share a sketch of a treasure chest.
Someone on Facebook expressed interest in creating one.
I will be sharing the sketch this weekend and working on a tutorial
as much as time allows.
My youngest is graduating from high school, 
so life is extra busy and full of memorable moments!

I wish you all a wonderful weekend!