Saturday, January 31, 2015

1 Xmas Item a Month January 2015 Finish

1 Xmas Item A Month January 2015 Finish

Last year, I discovered the 1 Xmas Item a Month blog 
and had a wonderful time following all of the lovely finishes 
the "elves" created and shared.


This year, I contacted Narelle and asked if I could join in the fun.

In December, I discovered this "Christmas Spirit" fabric by Geoff Allen for Springs Creative Products Group and just fell in love.


I have a couple of 12-inch crazy quilted blocks 
I have wanted to make into pillow covers.  
And, I have always wanted to make a couple of Christmas throw pillows.  
and tried it out with this lovely fabric.


I made a few modifications.
Rather than making a pattern, I used my 15-inch square ruler and rotary cutter to cut a 13-inch by 13-inch square 
(I centered the snowman about 6.5 inches from both sides and the top and bottom.)
and I cut two strips of fabric 13-inches long and 9-inches wide.


A half-inch seam (folded twice to tuck the raw edges away) was stitched along the center 13-inch sides of the smaller pieces of fabric. 


A half-inch seam was stitched all the way around.
I was a bit paranoid (not trusting my sewing skills), so I made sure the pillow form fit before clipping my corners.


I was SEW excited to have a cute little cover for my 12-inch pillow form!


The snowman is happily centered on the front.


And the back turned out perfectly.

Not only did I end up with a cute Christmas throw pillow, 
I discovered a pattern that should work perfectly for 
a project I have been putting off for AGES. 
Who knew it could be SEW easy?!

Thanks for stopping by!
Renee

If you are looking for my Grow Your Blog post, you may find it HERE.
If you are looking for my We Support You post, you may find it HERE.

11 comments:

Kwilt Krazy said...

Love that fabric. Great idea, one Christmas project a month. I need to do that too 😀

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

That turned out very cute. How nice to have a gift ready for Christmas.

Christine B said...

Hello Renee! What a wonderful little cushion! Love the fabric and one Christmas make off the list already!! Yay! :) xx

Annet said...

Lovely pillow, I'm sure it will look nice in December!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

What a great idea!! Nothing like beating the Christmas Rush. Now I'm off to check out the links you shared!
xx, Carol

barbara woods said...

beautiful Christmas Pillow

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Awww - such a cute snowman project. Love the idea of a Christmas gift per month - it would certainly make the last minute rush a little easier.

Queeniepatch said...

It is a charming and beautifully made cushion. i hope you will enjoy celebrating Christmas all year and not be fed up with it when December comes, ha,ha. Keep having fun!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pillow, love the fabric. Thanks for helping me discover the blog, too!

SuperMomNoCape said...

No wonder you fell in love with that fabric... it's beautiful!

Mii Stitch said...

Cute cushion & great idea!! You'll be all stocked up by the time the big day come :)