Friday, February 17, 2017

CQJP 2017 January Block Seams 13 - 15

The 13th seam embellished on my January Crazy Quilt Journal Project Block was one I had been avoiding. 

You cannot tell in this photo, but when I clipped the beads on the ribbon so they would not bulge beneath the seam, it left a little piece of plastic protuding toward the black fabric. As I worked on the block, the top bead began to work its way free from the small criscrossing threads holding the string of beads in place. I could not bring myself to leave it.

So, I carefully removed the string of beads and sewed 4 mm hot pink beads on with a strand of DMC #602 floss. Then, the outer edges of lace were tacked down with a strand of white DMC floss.

These larger beads are out of my comfort zone. My tastes migrate toward small  and delicate. However, I liked the way the seam turned out. 

The 14th seam was a fun one! Using a strand of size 5 DMC #B5200 perle cotton and straight stitches, I created 3 sets of 8 spokes.

Detached chain stitches fit between the spokes with a strand of EdMar Iris #218. And a small hot pink seed bead was sewn into the centers with a strand of DMC #604 cotton floss.

The 15th seam consists of back stitches along the seam with a strand of EdMar Glory #043

The Crazy Quilt Journal Project is a personal challenge to create a crazy quilt block each month that measures at least 8" x 8".  You may learn more about it here and see work others have completed here.




Other posts related to this block include:
Piecing the block
Seam 1
Seams 2 & 3
Seams 4 & 5
Seams 6 & 7
Seams 8 & 9
Seam 10
Seams 11 & 12

My CQJP 2017 project may also be followed on this Pinterest board.

Thank you for stopping by!
Renee





7 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

Seam #14 surely is a stunner! I love the starry look.

Christine B said...

Beautiful seam treatments Renee! I love how you share your 'fixes' and the finished seam looks great! Have a lovely weekend! Christine x

Brigitte said...

I love the seam with the red beads. And the stars look so great, too.

Anonymous said...

It's all fabulous. I'm like you about bead sizes, but that was definitely a place the larger ones look great. The small ones look equally perfect for the 14th seam. Altogether a great block!

Createology said...

Your perfection (not leaving pieces falling off) is what makes your CQ so lovely. Your seam treatments are each stunning and thank you for breaking them down for us newbies. <3

Katie said...

Oh those are beautiful. They look perfect.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love the 14th seam - those motifs would look perfect in a random manner for 'fillers' too.