Thursday, May 12, 2016

CQI UTS RR #2 - My Blocks are Home

A few of you may remember seeing these blocks in a post back in August of last year. This was the set of blocks I sent out for the 2nd Crazy Quilting International Under the Sea Do Your Block Round Robin (CQI UTS DYB RR) I participated in during 2015.  

Well, the embellished blocks made their way home to me in March. However, I waited to share them because one of the seams was entered in the Crazy Quilting International Spring Challenge. (You may see all of the seams entered in the challenge here.)


When piecing the blocks, I decided I wanted to make 2 wall quilts with 3 blocks each. Above is the first set before they were embellished.


And this is how they returned home! The block remaining for me to embellish was in this set. (You may click on any photo for a larger image.) This is going to be such a fun wall quilt!

The second set of blocks is above. This is how they looked when they were mailed out.


And this is how they returned to me. There are so many beautiful embellishments. The ladies all did such fun and lovely work!


Last August, I mailed my blocks to Sandy. She chose to embellish the block with the treasure chest.  I absolutely love the lace mermaid with the lace lobster. There are other fun laces, beautiful shells, beads, fish and stitches that bring this block to life. 


Sandy mailed my blocks to Mary and she chose this one to embellish. I just love the clusters of shells and the texture of the trims she used for seaweed. The sun is a perfect touch in the sky. Do you see the octopus?!


Annette was the next to receive my blocks. She chose this one and added one of her beautiful mermaids! This is another block full of fun texture and clusters of shells. I love the dolphins and seagulls in the sky. (I am not affiliated, but here is a link to her Etsy shop.)


Kathy received the blocks next. She selected the sunken ship block. I love the green trim along the sandy shore. The starfish are fun. The seam treatment beneath the trio of fun jellies is so pretty, too. Such fun!


Barbara (Nicki Lee) received the blocks next. I love that she beaded the purple seahorse I had added to the block. She added many of her pretty hand-dyed laces to the block, creating more gorgeous texture.  (I am not affiliated, but here is a link to her Etsy shop.)

I truly enjoyed participating in a round robin with these lovely ladies. They are fun, encouraging, supportive, flexible and all do such lovely work.

Embellishing the remaining block and sewing the two wall quilts are projects added to my growing "to do" list. I will be sure to share them when they are done.

For those that may be wondering...

Crazy Quilting International (CQI) is a group that meets on Facebook and on Yahoo! You may see some of the work members have done at the CQI blog.  

If you are curious about round robins, this post may help.

Thank you so much for stopping by!
Renee

12 comments:

Tiffstitch said...

Those look amazing!!!

KimM said...

Oh my gosh! How gorgeous!!!!!!!
xxx

Mary Ann Tate said...

You are such a lucky girl to have such a wonderful selection to put together. The finished piece will be something extra special :)

Annette said...

oh they are beautiful all grouped together love them all xoxo

Queeniepatch said...

What a fantastic amount of work that has been added to these blocks! Looking great!

Christine B said...

Wow! They are wonderful Renee! I love them all and the details are fabulous! Have a lovely weekend! Christine x

Cathy said...

Wow! Each block is a treasure! I bet this was a super fun RR, and I can hardly wait to see the wall hangings when they're done!!

Anonymous said...

How lovely they all look together. Sandy's use of lace pieces is amazing! Then Mary's, wow, she hardly used any regular embroidery thread or stitching to make that scene. Annette's mermaid, as well as her beading everywhere on the block, make that one gorgeous, too. Kathy's jellyfish kept my eyes busy for several minutes, and I, too, love the lacy drift below them. I love how Barbara used beads to cover your seahorse. Such a lovely use of stitching, threads, laces and beads. I really like the way Mary's and Annette's blocks go together so well, like a continuation, which the underlying sand and sea encouraged. What a wonderful thing you and your CQI partners have created. I always love seeing these round robins. Definitely a winner! Is there going to be another under sea RR, and are you going to do it?

Magpie's Mumblings said...

These are ALL wonderful!! So many incredible little details to admire. I especially like the scenic trio of blocks - that was an inspired idea.

Anthea said...

Holy wow Renee, these are all simply stunning... what a wonderful wall piece they'll make!

Brigitte said...

Absolutely stunning how the ladies embellished your blocks. What an outburst of creativity!

Sheryl said...

Gorgeous work, all lovely blocks filled with colour and small details. The finished wall quilt will be to treasure.