Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Crazy Quilt Day 6 & Next Sewing Project

On Sunday, I attended a Sewing 101 class to learn about my new sewing machine.  I was familiar with some of the course content, but I learned a few new tricks that made it so worth my time!  It is safe to say I am very happy with my Mother's Day present.

I did not have a lot of time to work on my project Sunday, but I did manage to finish three seams.  It took me quite a while to put on those ten little glass beads before I got the hang of it.


Using a black satin DMC floss, I made a chain stitch along the seam between the haunted house and the orange and black stripes.  The seams on the black fabric above the stripes were embellished with alternating cross-stitches using a white satin DMC floss and 11/0 white glass beads.  I hope to finish at least one more seam tomorrow after work. 

Today, I decided which unfinished project I would tackle next.  It follows the same pattern I used to make my very first quilt, which is pictured below.


This quilt was a Christmas gift to my father-in-law in 2003.  The pattern was from The City Stitcher Quilt Collection Designs by Janet Miller #9 Our Country Home.

A few years later, I decided to make another one with different colors.  I made great progress until life became too crazy.  (Doesn't it always?!)  Somehow, knowing the vines and leaves were going to be my next step made me hesitant to pick it up again.  Of course, now I know what it means to cut on the bias, so my vines would be a bit easier to maneuver.  That was honestly the trickiest part for me.

Below you can see where I left off on my work in progress.  We will see how much progress I make by next Monday.


Today, I traced most of the leaves onto fusible webbing.  Tomorrow night I plan to adhere them to my green fabrics and cut them out.  All of the applique needs to be applied before I sew any of these pieces together.  Busy, busy, busy!

No comments: