|Crazy Quilted Zipper Pouch Wristlet with Coordinating Tissue-Pack Cover|
While embroidering this piece, I extended the stitching on the seams slightly past the basted seam allowances. (I will explain why below.) When cutting the block, I was careful not to cut the stitching. I did not want to risk it unraveling. (You can see I am a knotty stitcher. A friend of mine was recently snubbed for using knots in her embroidery. Most of the work I do ends up in projects intended for use, so I like to know everything is firmly secured.)
I like to be sure the embroidery extends into the seams.
To me, it looks better than that way.
Because my middle fabrics were not the same size, I sewed them onto the long pink strip. I wanted the top pink sections to line up when the pouch was assembled.
I trimmed the embroidered block first. (I triple checked I would not be cutting any hidden embroidery threads beneath.) Then, I cut the panel for the back with the same dimensions.
As you can see, I also made sure the outer edges of my crazy quilted block were trimmed away.
Other changes I made to the tutorial were adding a zig-zag stitch to secure the raw edges in the bag. And, I added a wristlet strap following a section of THIS TUTORIAL at Emmaline Bags.
The back of the bag is fairly simple. It measures roughly 6 3/4-inches wide and 7 3/4-inches tall.
Using THIS TUTORIAL, I made a coordinating tissue-pack cover.
This zipper-pouch wristlet was donated to my son's drama club for a raffle. It is my hope it will help raise funds for their annual trip to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival.
Links to other posts that journal the creation of this zipper-pouch wristlet are listed below:
1. Photo of pieced block
2. Two seams created with TAST Stitches 15 & 16
3. Two more seams created with TAST Stitches 17 & 18
4. A seam created with TAST Stitch 24
5. A motif created with TAST Stitch 39 (Note: This was later changed, as I felt the button was just too big.)
6. Two motifs created with TAST Stitches 46 & 48
7. The completed block
This finishes another item on my CQJP 2014 list. You may learn more about the Crazy Quilt Journal Project (CQJP) 2014 HERE. My 2014 goal was to create a purse a month. I still have one block to embellish and 2 purses to create.
This project was #6 on my list for the 2017 UFO Challenge shared at All People Quilt. You may read more about the challenge HERE and see my list HERE.
Several additions to this piece were inspired by stitches introduced through Sharon B.'s Take a Stitch Tuesday (TAST). You may learn more about TAST HERE.
As mentioned in the post sharing the completed embroidery, Sharon B.'s Crazy Quilt Templates Set 2 were used to create one of the seams and a motif on this piece. A photo of that section was shared in the Summer 2016 edition of the Crazy Quilt Quarterly Magazine. (I am not affiliated with the templates or the magazine. Submissions are currently needed for the Summer 2017 edition of the magazine, which will feature a button theme. You may learn more HERE. The deadline is February 1st.)
Thank you so much for stopping by!