Friday, January 13, 2017

CQJP 2014 November Block Wristlet Completed

Crazy Quilted Zipper Pouch Wristlet with Coordinating Tissue-Pack Cover
This hand-embroidered crazy quilted zipper pouch is my first finish of 2017.  




While embroidering this piece, I extended the stitching on the seams slightly past the basted seam allowances. (I will explain why below.) When cutting the block, I was careful not to cut the stitching. I did not want to risk it unraveling. (You can see I am a knotty stitcher. A friend of mine was recently snubbed for using knots in her embroidery. Most of the work I do ends up in projects intended for use, so I like to know everything is firmly secured.)

I like to be sure the embroidery extends into the seams.

To me, it looks better than that way.



Once again, I referred to THIS TUTORIAL on YouTube from the Missouri Star Quilt Company. I only made a few changes. (I LOVE this tutorial!)

Because my middle fabrics were not the same size, I sewed them onto the long pink strip. I wanted the top pink sections to line up when the pouch was assembled.

I trimmed the embroidered block first. (I triple checked I would not be cutting any hidden embroidery threads beneath.) Then, I cut the panel for the back with the same dimensions.

 As you can see, I also made sure the outer edges of my crazy quilted block were trimmed away.

Other changes I made to the tutorial were adding a zig-zag stitch to secure the raw edges in the bag. And, I added a wristlet strap following a section of THIS TUTORIAL at Emmaline Bags.

The back of the bag is fairly simple. It measures roughly 6 3/4-inches wide and 7 3/4-inches tall.

Using THIS TUTORIAL, I made a coordinating tissue-pack cover.

This zipper-pouch wristlet was donated to my son's drama club for a raffle. It is my hope it will help raise funds for their annual trip to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival

Links to other posts that journal the creation of this zipper-pouch wristlet are listed below:

1. Photo of pieced block
2. Two seams created with TAST Stitches 15 & 16
3. Two more seams created with TAST Stitches 17 & 18
4. A seam created with TAST Stitch 24
5. A motif created with TAST Stitch 39 (Note: This was later changed, as I felt the button was just too big.)
6. Two motifs created with TAST Stitches 46 & 48
7. The completed block

Additional Notes:
This finishes another item on my CQJP 2014 list. You may learn more about the Crazy Quilt Journal Project (CQJP) 2014 HERE. My 2014 goal was to create a purse a month. I still have one block to embellish and 2 purses to create.

This project was #6 on my list for the 2017 UFO Challenge shared at All People Quilt. You may read more about the challenge HERE and see my list HERE.

Several additions to this piece were inspired by stitches introduced through Sharon B.'s Take a Stitch Tuesday (TAST). You may learn more about TAST HERE.

As mentioned in the post sharing the completed embroidery, Sharon B.'s Crazy Quilt Templates Set 2 were used to create one of the seams and a motif on this piece. A photo of that section was shared in the Summer 2016 edition of the Crazy Quilt Quarterly Magazine. (I am not affiliated with the templates or the magazine. Submissions are currently needed for the Summer 2017 edition of the magazine, which will feature a button theme. You may learn more HERE. The deadline is February 1st.)

Thank you so much for stopping by!
Renee






11 comments:

Christine B said...

I absolutely love this beautiful wrist pouch Renee! Your stitching is fabulous and the colours are lovely too! Christine x

Queeniepatch said...

A 'knotted' jewel! How can anyone be snubbed for using Knot stitches?! There are a lot of variations and they create fantastic details and think of a Colonial Knot quilt, made entirely of knots! Long live the KNOT!

Katie said...

Gorgeous! Another project marked off your list. You're kicking butt!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

A great finish - and hope it brings lots of money for the cause. You're doing well with getting things finished (wish some of that would rub off on me!!).

Createology said...

Renee dear your CQ zippered pouch is delightful and how generous of you to create it for donation. I hope it brings lots of funds to the cause. I like that you knot along the way so your work is protected. I have wondered how well CQ holds up to use. Thank you for sharing your tips and links. Great finish so early in January!

Pamela said...

This is so pretty! Great idea and great finish!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Your bag is so pretty and a great addition to the fund raiser. Someone will grab it quick. Thanks for all the links to tutorials that you used while making it too. You're off and running on the UFO challenge.
xx, Carol

Terry said...

What a beautiful wristlet...love your hand-embroidery!!!!
cwayons(at)yahoo(dot)com

Anonymous said...

Is there anything you can't make? =) That looks beautiful, and I'd never make it because I know my limits these days. It's really nice of you to do all that work and then donate it, too. The winner of that will absolutely have a prize.

Pull the other thread said...

That is so awesome, love it! Well done on an amazing finish and for giving it to club to raffle.

Brigitte said...

That's a very impressive finish, Renee.