Tuesday, March 3, 2020

TAST 2020 Chain Stitch


A new round of Take a Stitch Tuesday (TAST) began in January.

TAST is a personal challenge to learn a new hand embroidery stitch each week. The challenge is offered by Sharon Boggon of Pin Tangle. You may learn more about the challenge here.

Beyond TAST offers a more complex stitch for those that have completed TAST in the past or are more experienced embroiderers. (I have not worked these yet.)


TAST Week 1: Chain Stitch

This stitch was worked with size 8 Anchor red floss.

I then added size 12 cream Presencia Finca floss to create a whipped chain stitch (as seen in the photo at the beginning of this post.)



TAST Week 2: Fly Stitch

Eight fly stitches worked with size 12 DMC pearl cotton made a snowflake. 

A size 10/0 crystal glass seed bead was added to the center.

I need to work on my spacing, but I also worked a beaded fly stitched snowflake with the same DMC pearl cotton and crystal glass beads.



TAST Week 4: Stem Stitch

I traced a heart (using one of Sharon Boggon's Stitchers Templates Set 1) onto the foundation on the back of the block with a pencil (as seen below.)

Next, I used a pink Anchor size 8 pearl cotton to stem stitch around the heart.



TAST Week 3 was the Buttonhole Stitch. I have not used it yet this year, but I tend to use it to make flower stems (as seen in 2 of the seams surrounding the heart in my Stem Stitch photo.) 

Do you have a favorite way to use the the Chain Stitch, Fly Stitch or Stem Stitch? 


7 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

The TAST project is such a good way to learn, practise and use embroidery stitches. You have used yours to the full.
I think my favourite chain stitches are Magic Chain and Cable Chain. Your way of whipping the red chain stitch turned it into a 'Magic Chain' with very little effort. Clever!

Katie said...

They all look great!

Createology said...

Renee Dear your embroidery stitches always look sew lovely. I understand practice makes perfect and you are an excellent student always stitching and working. <3

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Your stitching is gorgeous.

Christine B said...

What a beautiful start to your TAST stitches. I always loved learning the new stitches each week when I followed. I still use a lot of my favourites! Have a lovely weekend. Christine xx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I like the way you have used the different stitches, especially the beaded snowflake.

Susan said...

I'm so glad to see your pretty stitching. Whipping the red with the white really makes a wonderful stitch along there. I don't think there's anything I haven't used chain stitch for, but I really love it on curvy lines. Fly stitch is usually stems or vines, and the stem stitch is one I only use occasionally. I'm much more like to use the outline stitch. I love the way a pretty stem stitch makes a neat back stitch on the back, though. Your Valentine is just lovely!