Tuesday, April 12, 2016

CQJP 2016 February Block Seams 2 - 4 and TAST 2016 Stitch 36

The 2nd seam embellished on my February Crazy Quilt Journal Project 2016 February Block was inspired by Valerie Bothell's Joyful Embellishments #2: curved feather stitch + lazy daisy (also called the detached chain stitch.)

I traced a wavy ruler I purchased from Creative Memories years ago for scrapbooking and then followed the curvy line with a feather stitch using single strand of size 8 DMC #320 pearl cotton. 

The detached chain stitches were created with size 8 DMC #815 pearl cotton.


The 3rd seam was inspired by Doreen's beautiful example of the raised cross stitch flower stitch in the Facebook TAST group. 

Using a single strand of size 5 DMC #367 pearl cotton floss, I worked a feather stitch down the seam.

On the outer feather stitches, I alternated between adding raised cross stitch flowers and detached chain stitch flower buds. These were created with size 5 DMC #321 pearl cotton floss.

Using the same green floss, I added a small straight stitch to the feather stitches in between. I love the way this seam turned out!

TAST 36: Linked Chain Stitch

The 4th seam on my February block was created by tracing a vine from one of Sharon B.'s Crazy Quilt Templates Set 2.*

I followed the traced lines with the linked chain stitch, using size 8 DMC #125 pearl cotton.

Small flowers were added with clusters of 3 oyster stitches and a colonial knot using a strand of size 8 DMC #498 pearl cotton.

Leaves were then added, using the same variegated green floss and oyster stitches.


In case you are wondering...

CQJP 2016 is a personal stitching challenge to complete a block a month. You may learn more about it here. If you are interested in joining next year, sign ups for CQJP generally open up in November and close in December.

TAST stands for Take a Stitch Tuesday. It is a personal stitching challenge offered by Sharon B. on Facebook and on her blog, pintangle.com. You may read more about it hereIf you follow the TAST Facebook group, you know there are some incredibly inspiring examples of these stitches being shared. Anyone may join at any time during the challenge. Thank you, Sharon, for offering TAST!

Joyful Embellishments is a Facebook Group run by Valerie Bothell of The Pink Bunny: A Crazy Quilt Blog. Stiches are introduced Monday through Friday. You may see all of the stitches introduced last year here on her Pinterest board.

*I am not affiliated with Sharon B.'s Crazy Quilt Templates. I did receive a set to review and will say that I absolutely love using them!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Magnificent seams, Renee! The curve on that first one - that's the curve I keep trying to find, and no matter how many curvy things I find, I don't get that one. LOL Who knew I should have purchased that years ago when I was scrapbooking? Each of these seams is just beautiful. Thank you for describing how you did them. I always love seeing your seams. Maybe I should finish that March block, ya think? One seam to go ... for 12 days now!

Christine B said...

Beautiful, beautiful seam treatments Renee! I love the way you have used all the TAST stitches and they look fabulous! Christine x

Queeniepatch said...

You have a good collection of beautiful curves. They are all excellent for embellishing seams on cq but also lovely on their own.

Katie said...

These are beautiful!

sharonb said...

Lovely work Renee - they are so sweet and totally delight my eyes.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I never cease to be impressed by how things that are meant for other forms of artistic expression can be amalgamated into crazy quilting. Great user for your scrapbooking ruler!