Tuesday, July 26, 2016

1 X-mas Item a Month - July 2016

Yay! I finally finished a couple of projects to share with the 1 X-mas Item a Month blog

In May, I shared the embellished front to this stocking. Today, I carved out enough time to stitch it all together.

I completed the cross-stitched center over a decade ago and tried to make a wall quilt for my husband. (The pattern was in the book Alma Lynn's Country Cross-Stitch.) 

The wall quilt did not turn out well, so I set it aside. Last year, I pulled it out of my pile of UFOs (unfinished objects) and decided it would be fun to use in a crazy quilted stocking for my husband. I am happy to say that he loves it!


Some time ago, my husband mentioned he wanted a new pillowcase, so I found these fun beer prints. Unfortunately, I did not think about the print and grain running in the wrong direction...

This was my first time making a pillowcase using the "roll up" or "burrito" method.

I followed the tutorial I found at The Seasoned Homemaker. I also watched this YouTube video by The Crafty Gemini to make sure I understood the method first.

His pillow fits in it perfectly and I think he'll like it - even if the beer is all sideways.

The body fabric is Cheers by Martin Irish. The cuff fabric is by Hi-Fashion Fabrics, Inc. - Pattern HJG-C3867. (I wanted to share links, but could only find the Cheers print with a black background and could not find the cuff fabric on-line.)


Are you working on any handmade Christmas gifts?




9 comments:

Tiffstitch said...

Fantastic! Great finish on the stocking and what a fun pillowcase too. :) I have a few cross stitch projects, one finished the stitching and needs fully finishing, the others still need stitching completed.

KimM said...

Great finishes, Renee! The stocking is truly an heirloom and the pillow case for hubby is perfect. Love the fabric.
xxx

Shell - Little Orphan Stitch said...

I love making pillowcases. The roll up/burrito method makes it so easy!

Something I do with mine is on the flange piece, after it's stitched on, I add decorative stitching all along the flange. It helps it to lay flat instead of folding and rolling when you're using the pillowcase.

Createology said...

Love the blue Chrismas stocking and using your Stitchery for the center focal piece. Uber cute pillowcase. You are on a roll...burrito style.

Lara B. said...

What a clever thing to do with a UFO you weren't happy with! Renee that Santa cross stitch is amazing! The embellishments you added are terrific too!

A beer pillow case... I know a lot of people who would love one of these, LOL.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

If your husband happens to sleep on his side, the beer glasses will be right way round. The stocking is a great finish (and I hope it comes along with free refills from Santa every year).

Katie said...

Beautiful Christmas finish. Oh my hubby would love that pillow case. Too cool!!

Queeniepatch said...

Great stocking, I understand that your husband is pickled pink.
As for the beer glasses, well, if you drink in bed the glasses would be tilted in that direction, wouldn't they? Just don't drink too much!

Anonymous said...

I think I've made two this year! I keep having great plans and they don't happen. =P Love the pillow cases for your husband. The stocking is adorable. That row of trees across the toe is my favorite part. I LOVE the blog header seam, too.