Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Row by Row Experience 2016 - 4 Shops Visited



I am afraid it did not take me long to spend the money I stashed away during the Piggy Bank Savings. If you remember, I planned to split the money I saved with my husband. However, he insisted I should keep it and use the full amount on my Row by Row shopping. Don't tell anyone, but I think he likes me. ;) 


If you are interested, sign-ups for the 4th Annual Piggy Bank Savings = Money for Quilting Challenge are open until August 1st at Val's Quilting Studio.


Last year I found myself intrigued by blog posts and Facebook posts about the Row by Row Experience. Although this annual event began in 2011, last year was the first time I heard about it. (As I am not a big quilter, this is not shocking.)



This year, I decided to collect a few rows and give it a try. My first stop was at Sewn Loverly in Wilsonville, Oregon. I picked up the kit for their row. And, I fell in love with the license plates, so I had to get one. 

While I was there, I picked up some buttons. (I see the white buttons and think, "Snowmen!") I already used one of the ladybugs on my CQJP 2016 February block. I also splurged on 3 fat quarters.



I have also visited A Common Thread in Tigard, Oregon. They had 2 kits and I could not decide between the village scene and the stack of cups. So... I bought both. These are both panels to be colored in. They had fabric marker sets on sale, too. However, I will be ironing wax paper on the back of mine and coloring them in with crayons - a technique I learned through this tutorial. The shop did recommend spraying the fabric with water and ironing it before coloring and sewing it into the quilt top.

Again, I had to get the license plate. I also fell in love with two of the Row by Row fabrics - one with license plates and one that reads Home Sweet Home. I bought a fat quarter of each and a half yard of a twiggy looking fabric that I look forward to using in a crazy quilt block.



On Saturday, my husband took me to 2 quilt shops. First, we stopped at Quilting Delights in Happy Valley, Oregon. I only planned to pick up the pattern, but their kit was laser cut and I just could not resist! (It even includes two heart-shaped buttons for the doorknobs. Too cute!)

I could not resist their license plate, either. (I'm weak, what can I say... They are so cute.)



Next we stopped at Hollyhill Quilt Shoppe & Mercantile in West Linn, Oregon. I absolutely love their row and really wanted to buy the kit. However, I am hoping to make a quilt for our home and my husband is not a big fan of pastel colors. So, I am toying with a few ideas for this one. Do you see those tiny little hexies? One of the quilts hanging between the campers is made with them. The fabric I purchased (beneath the hexies and the pattern) has an iron-on adhesive to stabilize the appliqued pieces.

I love this license plate, too. And, if you know me at all, you know I love snowmen. I could not pass up a fat quarter of this darling snowman print.

I would love to know if you are collecting Row by Row patterns. If so, which shop has your favorite row? 

(Please note: I am not affiliated with any of the shops mentioned in this post.)

15 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

Aren't you a shopaholic?! One of my resolutions this year was to buy as little as possible and use up my stash! That's been easy, because I haven't got a piggy bank to startwith!
Have fun with all your new toys!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I'm new to quilting and like the Row by Row. I haven't collected any blocks this year, but got a couple last year after they could sell when the hop was done. Learning the skills before I use the patterns.
xx, Carol

Anthea said...

Wow these rows look great Renee, I hope you have fun piecing them together!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You did really well with your piggy bank savings - wow!! I must admit I am beyond curious about the license plates - are they fabric or metal?

Val's Quilting Studio said...

You did it! How fun!! I've only collected one row by row so far...but am headed out for a two week vacation and hope to pick up a few!

chitra said...

very adorable license plates. enjoy your row by row experience.
Chitra

Createology said...

So far I do not quilt however I am enchanted with quilts others create. Row-by-row is sounding and looking very intriguing. I may have to visit a participating store or two, maybe three. Your piggy bank savings really stretched a long way with your fun shopping. Your husband is very sweet and generous to let you keep his half for your passion. Embracing Creative Bliss...

Lara B. said...

Hi Renee! A row by row experience looks and sounds like sew much fun! Your hubby is a sweetie to let you have the whole piggy bank and to go shopping with you. Those license plates are way to hard to resist too. I'm a new bloglovin' and pinterest follower!

Mary said...

I have collected rows and License plates from 26 shops. My favorite row was from a Local friend's shop. It's in the center of my quilt! She also had the 9th Row that I was searching for. Still collecting. Hubby is taking me on another road trip soon. One more month to collect! Nice of your Hubby to go with you! Did he pick up extra patterns?

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

I did Row by Row last year and had a blast! My best friend decided we should visit all the shops in Indiana (where we live), so we did! Sometimes we'd go together, with me navigating the best way to get the most shops in one day. Other times we'd go separate to get those out lyers that don't seem to be easy to visit. I also went with my daughter once and that was awesome! Then my friend decided she wanted a license plate from each state. I got a few for her when we went on vacation that summer, and her friends and business associates helped her get the rest. Some she had to order online, but now she has the cutest set of license plates! I think she's making a quilt using them on the front and back but I'm afraid she'll still have some left over. So don't get me started on this year!

Unknown said...

Hi, Found you by sheer chance. I am trying to join an RR groups, however, I cannot find any links to it. Is there any way you can point me in the right directions? I am a memmber of CQI. antilaoneataol.com.Since I upgraded to Windows ten everything has changed.
Thanks

Renee said...

Manos Maravilosas Hecho a mano, I am sorry, you are a no-reply blogger, so I cannot reply with an email. I will share reminders with both the Facebook and Yahoo groups about signing up for round robins. :)

velia said...

I wrote in my email knowing that Google has decided not to let anyone use my blog with that name, it's still there, however, they changed it to the subtitle:
fibers,needlesandthreads.blogspot.com.

Renee said...

Velia, the emails I tried to send to that email address would not go through. If you ask the question as a New Topic on the CQI Yahoo Group or with the CQI Facebook group, I can point you in the right direction. :)

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Hi Renee! Have you decided your spurge? I hope so! Mark you calendar as we count, post and link our piggy bank savings on July 6th!!! :) :)