Sunday, August 16, 2015

CQI Under the Sea Do Your Block Round Robin #2


Let me just say (with a chuckle) that I should stop telling myself I am not going to sign up for another round robin for a while.

You may click on any photo for a larger view.

Bare Block 1
As the last Crazy Quilting International Under the Sea Do Your Block Round Robin (CQI UTS DYB RR) came to a close, I told my family I did not plan to join another round robin until next year. Then, one of the members asked if we would all be interested in a second round and of course I said, "Yes!" 

Bare Block 2
I promise, I do have will power. Just not when it comes to stitching!

Bare Block 3

The three blocks above were pieced back in February for the first UTS round robin, but I decided to go with a different idea. For this round robin, I sent them out with a note that the first person to stitch them may decide if the sandy section will be the ocean floor or if it will be the sandy beach. The blocks were designed to line up from left to right for a wall quilt.


It took me a while to decide what to do for the next 3 blocks. I contemplated using the free mermaid patterns on Kathy Shaw's blog for 2 of the center pieces. However, I decided to color white cotton fabric using my own sketches instead.

Bare Block 4
Please pretend with me that my sunken boat looks like a sunken boat...

Bare Block 5

This tutorial was very helpful when I first attempted coloring fabric, so I used it again for these blocks. A black micron marker was used to draw the outlines onto the fabric. (Here is a link to one at Amazon.com. However, I bought mine in a set of multiple colors years ago for a lower price. Once heat set with an iron, the ink is permanent.) 

Bare Block 6
The blocks were mailed to Sandy Black last week and I cannot wait to see what she does with them!

Thank you for stopping by!
Renee

8 comments:

Gina said...

I think you need an intervention hon. Seriously though I'm going to enjoy seeing all your work. I'm about to start my Under the Sea mini quilt this week so wish me luck. YOu may recognise some of the motifs going on it :)

Christine B said...

Hello Renee! You make me smile.... you sound just like me can't resist another sewing project! Your base blocks look fabulous and I am looking forward to seeing the blocks that you work on as well as these when they come back! :) x

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I like the piecing in block one - two - and three. I'll be intrested to see how they are embellished. That's what you love about crazy quilt patches..it's all about creativity.
xx, Carol

Laurie said...

Love the sweet little seahorse.

Sheryl said...

Interesting to see how these turn out and yes, your sunken boat does look like a sunken boat :-)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm sitting here giggling because oh how I know what you're talking about!! I swore that I was not, under any circumstances, going to take on any more projects this year so that I could concentrate on getting some things finished and perhaps tackle some of the many things that have been roosting on my to do list for too long. Well, this morning my email brought the happy news that I had won a giveaway of some gorgeous fabrics from Suzy Quaife and of course they are tied in to her new online class and (you know where this is leading, so I'll stop typing now.....

Anonymous said...

Of course I knew right away it was a sunken boat! My mind even started filling in some stitching and jewels strewn across the beach! =) I love all your blocks. I can hardly wait to see them come back, so you better post any pictures you get!

SuperMomNoCape said...

Oh I love all your blocks. It's going to be a long wait until they come back to you before we see how each person in the round robin embellishes them. But I am looking forward to seeing how you embellish the ones you receive over the next few months.