Tuesday, August 11, 2015

TAST Weeks 2 & 3: Buttonhole Stitch and Feather Stitch


I am a bit behind on the Take a Stitch Tuesday Challenge offered by Sharon Boggon at Pintangle and on Facebook. (For more information you may read about the challenge here. You set your own goals, so there is no pressure.) However, I did add the week two and week three stitches to the Oregon State University crazy quilt block I am working on. 

You may click on any picture for a larger image and click on the name of the stitch in each title to go to Sharon's instructions.

TAST Week 2: Buttonhole Stitch



For this seam, I used white perle cotton (size 8 I believe - but it could be size 12, I forget) to create a buttonhole seam with one short 'stem' and one tall 'stem'. I added 2 lazy daisy (detached chain) stitches to the sides of the taller stems and 2 straight stitches to the smaller stems to create leaves. A black Mill Hill petite glass seed bead was added to the tops of the smaller stems. Using black size 12 perle cotton floss, I added 3 lazy daisy stitches to the taller stems and topped them with an orange seed bead to create little orange and black flowers.


I added a small Swarovski crystal butterfly bead and some running stitches to create a flight path to finish off this embroidered scene.



This is one of my favorite base stitches for flowers. I love the way the seams above turned out on the camera block I made for my friend, Jo.


This heart flower seam on a purse I am making for someone dear battling cancer is another favorite.


This year I have frequently used the buttonhole stitch to create a bit of under-the-sea vegetation, as seen in the photo above of work I did on Sandy's block. It is hiding behind the anchor and the seaweed. I space the stitches irregularly and at angles before topping them with Mill Hill petite glass seed beads.

TAST Week 3: Feather Stitch


This seam uses a feather stitch combination I learned from Kathy Shaw in her free Basic Crazy Quilt Course (BCQC). (The next BCQC opens for registration on September 28th. You may learn more about it here. You may see the block I made in the class here.)


I love to use the feather stitch to create seaweed in under-the-sea blocks, as seen in the picture of work I did on Mary's block above.

I would love to thank Sharon for offering TAST. I know it is time consuming. For those of us participating, it is wonderful to see everyone's inspiring work.

Thank you for stopping by!
Renee

6 comments:

Christine B said...

Hello Renee! Love your beautiful TAST stitches! :) x

KimM said...

Beautiful work!
xxx

Pamela said...

Very nice, Renee!

chitra said...

lovely work, Renee.

Anonymous said...

Your stitching is wonderful. I like the orange and black seams - for your sports team project, right? It's fun to see a different colorway. These are both stitches I use a lot, but I liked seeing how you embellished yours.

Renee said...

Thank you, Chitra!