Thursday, June 25, 2015

Free Intermediate Crazy Quilt Course - 102 Update #1


I promised to share a bit of my work from Kathy Shaw's FREE Intermediate Crazy Quilt Course (ICQC) - 102: Using Acrylic Paints, Dyes, Inks, etc.


I have to be honest. This course has interested me for ages. Why? I wanted to learn more about painting backgrounds for embroidery and crazy quilting. 


Yes, I also thought it would be nice to learn how to dye my own laces and ribbons. But, I am admitting that I looked more forward to having those things done than actually doing them.


Guess what? I had SO much fun with this assignment! How much? So much that I wished I had local friends that would be interested in coming over for a lace painting party.


I have used some lace trims and motifs on a few of my blocks, but I tend to stick with threads and beads and the occasional silk ribbon, button or charm on my crazy quilts.


Do you know what I kept thinking as I painted these lace trims and motifs?


I guess there were 2 thoughts. 
First, I need to invest in more acrylic paints.


Second, I seriously need to start using more lace on my blocks!

I have a small stash of beautifully dyed lace motifs that I purchased from Raviolee Dreams at Etsy a while back.

Now I have these beauties, too! The white lace trims and motifs that I dyed and shared were purchased from a variety of locations. 

A couple of the trims were purchased at Jo-Ann Fabric

A few of the motifs (and possibly some of the trims) were purchased at Crazy Quilting Supplies.

The basket at the bottom was purchased from Sew Victorian Crazy at Etsy. This shop is closing out and is offering 20%-off all purchases over $10.00 until June 30th. (I may have to go back...)

I have more lace on the way that I ordered through vendors on the... um... either the Supplies for Crazy Quilts and Other Crafts group or the Supplies for Crazy Quilts and Other Crafts 2 group on Facebook.

One of these days, I am finally going to purchase some of the lace I drool over at Cathy's Crazy By Design at Etsy, too.

For the record, I am not affiliated with any of the shops mentioned above. I frequently see crazy quilt embellishments and wonder, "Where did they find those?!"

The laces I shared above are just the beginning of this class. I have worked on a few more assignments, but they are drying and need more work before I will be ready to share them. 

If you are thinking about taking one of Kathy Shaw's free classes, here are the next scheduled registration dates:

Basic Crazy Quilting Course (BCQC): June 27-29
ICQC 101 - Designing and Piecing CQ Blocks : July 10-11
ICQC 102 - Using Acrylic Paints, Dyes, Inks, etc.: July 27-29 
ICQC 103 - Embellishing with Threads: NOW June 23-25
ICQC 107 - Miniature SRE Flowers: August 12-14 

Please note, some courses have a prerequisite course (or two) that must be met first. And, SRE stands for silk ribbon embroidery.

I am curious... Do you have a favorite place to purchase your crazy quilting embellishments that is not listed above?

Thanks for stopping by!
Renee



9 comments:

Christine B said...

Hi Renee! You have done such a wonderful job, your lace all looks beautiful. They are going to make wonderful additions to future CQ blocks! :) x

Justine said...

Your lace is beautiful! Well done.

Katie said...

Wow....gorgeous pieces!!

Anonymous said...

I used to have quite a list of favorite places, but most are now gone. I also did lace buys for a group of friends for several years. I have enough to keep me going for the next 20 years! I have everything I bought, and everything my best friend bought, which were often the same things. =)

I LOVED dying laces. I have the Oze Dyes and I have a lot of colors. Of course, you can combine them for more colors. It was so much fun to do them, but I don't think I've done any in the last 5-6 years. I should. I have the stuff and I have lace and motifs that could use dying. I just never get the stuff out to do it. I'd love a lace painting party. =)

Your laces look fabulous. I especially like your shading on that small butterfly. It's so delicate and perfect. I look forward to seeing where you use these. A lot of my things aren't that feminine, but when I did the Flower Fairies blocks, I used a ton of laces.

Createology said...

I do not have a source for you but I do have an admiration for your colored laces! You have done a beautiful job and I can see how you will want to continue more and more and more. Beautiful Blissful Laces...

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I had hoped to take the dyeing class too, but haven't found the proper dyes as yet. Seriously toying with the thought of using Kool-Aid, but I imagine that might be frowned upon, to say nothing about how colour fast it would be. I'm not 100% sure if Janet at www.vintagevogue.com carries lace, but she has a lot of beautiful fodder for CQ.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

drat - I mean to say too how much I liked your pretty motifs esp. the basket and the butterfly. Pretty!!

Gina said...

Your laces and motifs are amazing.
THank you for directing me to Kathy's blog. I'd love to do one or two of her courses. I haven't the time at the moment but I'll try to take one in the Autumn if she runs it then

SuperMomNoCape said...

These are all so pretty! I especially love the butterfly!