Monday, June 17, 2013

First CQ Messenger Bag Post 4


I found myself inspired by a birdhouse in the Whispering Willow Garden motif in Joan Gordon's The Silk Ribbon Embroidery Bible.  Although I changed the colors, the birdhouse was created the same.  Using brown 7mm silk ribbon, I made a vertical straight stitch.  Three more straight stitches were made using 4mm brown silk ribbon for the base and roof of the birdhouse.  I used 2 strands of DMC #310 black floss and 2 wraps for a French knot to create the entrance.

My pole is not the same as the one found in Joan Gordon's book.  Using 2 strands of brown DMC #420 floss (because it matched the brown silk ribbon I used), I ran a stem stitch from the birdhouse down to the black chain-stitched seam below.  Then, I stem-stitched my way back up to the birdhouse, to add more width to the pole.

Had I created the pole first, it would not have intercepted my short flower stem below.  (Yesterday, I added alternating short and long straight stitches about 1/4th an inch apart along the seam line using 2 strands of green DMC #989 floss.)  However, this will simply mean there will be a flower at the base of the pole.

I do have a much larger dilemma...
What dilemma?  My birdhouse is too large for my tree.  They are not to scale at all.  Had I planned this better, the tree would be about 2 inches taller, and the top would be bushier.  However, the birdhouse was not planned.  It was an impulsive addition.  I decided this morning that it would help fill the void to the left of the tree.  So, it did.

Luckily, I am making this bag for myself and I can happily pretend to be oblivious to my own blunder.

Now, I am off to the library to sign my boys (Monkey & Mutt) up for the summer reading program.  While I am there, I will be checking out books on painting with acrylics.  I still have a few fun ideas for my Winter/Christmas themed round robin coming up in July.

I do hope I find more time to work on this more later today.

Have a great day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of our neighbors at our last house had a birdhouse that was WAAAAAAAAY up on a pole near the height of some trees in his yard. I'm not sure how he maintained it but, it was up there!

Renee said...

Wonderful! Thanks for making me feel better about the scale between these two. :)

Anonymous said...

What about taking that green stem that's in/on the birdhouse pole and turning it into some sort of climbing vine/flower going up the pole?

Renee said...

I read the first six words of your comment and pictured the rest in my mind. :) Great idea! I just received my Winter Challenge Package, and I really want to stitch. (Pictures coming soon...) However, right now I am off to BBQ a birthday dinner for my hubby.