Using 2 strands of red DMC 304, I made 5 straight stitches of the same length, fanning out from the same central point. Next, I used 2 strands of white to place a French knot at the end of each straight stitch and make lazy daisy stitches between them.
The pattern extends to the edge (and slightly past) my quarter-inch seam, and I am okay with that. My goal is to avoid placing buttons or beads too close, so they will not interfere with machine sewing the blocks into a quilt. However, I may make an exception with this block, because the beaded lace I added to the upper-left corner already requires hand stitching this block in place.
At the end of Day 16, my second block has progressed to the photo at the right. There are only 4 seam treatments to go, and a few motifs. Ideas are brewing in my little mind. I hope they turn out the way I picture them!