Friday, June 8, 2012

Crazy Quilt Day 7

Yesterday, I finally finished the October block for my crazy quilt.  It took seven days of stitching.  I spent as little as an hour on some days, and far more on others.  If I were to do it over, there are changes I would make (lighter browns for the tree, a different shape for my spider, and the jack-o-lantern would not be on orange fabric.)  However, for my first block, I am satisfied.  I learned a lot, and was able to try out several new stitching techniques.

I was not happy that one of the ghosts in the center piece was pretty much cut in half.  So, I traced the shape (adding to the part that was cut off), reversed the drawing and traced it onto fusible webbing, ironed it onto the wrong side of white fabric with silver glitter in it, cut it out and adhered it directly over the ghost on the block.  Because the other ghosts were outlined in black, I used black DMC floss #310 to over-stitch the edges and to add in the arm from the original design.  I used a satin stitch for the mouth and French knots for the eyes.  I have to admit, I was nervous about the French knots.  I have never felt I could make them successfully.  However, in the Needlework Stitches book (by Barbara Snook) that my mom gave me, the directions explain that the left hand has to be above the fabric to hold the thread tight (and to only wrap the thread around the needle twice.)  I was thrilled that they both turned out great on the first attempts!

Then, I drew another ghost, traced it on fusible webbing and adhered it to a soft scrap of white fabric I had in my stash.  I am not sure, but I think it was felt.  It was the same fabric my husband and I used to sew our eldest's very first Halloween costume - a white rabbit with a pink tummy and a fluffy tail.  This time, I used white DMC floss to over-stitch the edges, and black DMC #310 to make the French knot eyes and to satin stitch on the mouth.

In the upper-left corner, I attempted my first Woven Wheel (or Woven Spot) Spider Web.  (I think I did it correctly... maybe.)  I used the DMC satin white and satin black flosses.  (I tried to get a closer picture of that stitch, but my camera refused to focus on the close-up.)

I continued to use the satin white floss for a closed blanket stitch to treat the seam in the upper-right hand corner.  (I think I should have reversed it though, so the triangles pointed downward onto the orange fabric.)

The completed October block.

The original block. 
(Although, it is sideways.  I'm not sure how to rotate it on the blog.)

I had a lot of fun making this block.  However, I must admit, I have been itching to make some pretty stitches, that just did not fit into the Halloween theme.  I am not quite sure which month I will work on next, but I am certain it will be one with flowers!

No comments: