My CQJP 2017 February block was pieced last month.
I pieced the CQJP 2017 March block at the same time.
Both blocks will be used as pockets on tote bags. One will be donated for an auction next month and the other will be added to my (currently empty) Etsy shop inventory.
For the first motif on the February block, I traced a reverse image of a seahorse on the muslin backing of the block.
Next, I followed the traced lines with a split stitch and used a satin stitch to complete the seahorse. (I like using the split stitch to give a cleaner edge to the satin stitches.)
Stomach area: 1 strand of DMC #4040.
Body: 1 strand of Waterlilies by Caron #207 Bermuda Reef (I think I fell in love with using silk embroidery floss!)
Eye: 1 strand of DMC #310
Center of eye: straight stitch of size 12 DMC perle cotton #B5200 floss.
It may be difficult to see, but here is a sneak peek at the 2nd motif. I will be using the octopus from the Stitcher's Revolution SR10 Sailor's Delight Iron-On Transfer set.
The last time I embroidered an octopus, it took me about 10 hours. I am hoping to be a little faster this time. You may see the octopus added to Sandy's block in a round robin here.
I usually embellish the seams and then begin adding motifs to my crazy quilt blocks. To make sure the seams will not interfere with the motifs I want to add, I am working the motifs first.
Related blog posts:
Seahorse Tutorial (I used Seahorse 1 Sketch for this piece.)
CQJP 2017 January Block
The Pinterest board documenting my CQJP 2017 project may be found here.
I sometimes share sneak peeks on my Instagram account and on my Hand Stitched Treasure Facebook Page.
CQJP stands for Crazy Quilt Journal Project. It is a personal challenge to complete one crazy quilt block a month measuring a minimum of 8-inches by 8-inches. You may learn more about the rules here and see the blocks that have been completed this year here.
Thank you for stopping by!