Tuesday, December 13, 2016

TAST 2016 Stitch 49

TAST Stitch 49: Open Base Picot Stitch

Open Base Picot Stitch

There were two variations of the picot stitch introduced with TAST
stitch 49. One had an open base and the other had a closed base.

Using a strand of variegated green EdMar Glory #040 floss, 
I worked 3 open based picot stitches onto an under-the-sea 
themed crazy quilt block.


Personally, I love the texture this stitch adds to embroidery.
The sheen of the EdMar floss is fun, too.

(If you missed my post with this completed block yesterday,
you may find it here.)


Open base picot stitch and French knots used to create a sea star.

In the past, I used this stitch and French knots to create 
a sea star on a block embellished for a friend in an 
under-the-sea themed crazy quilting round robin. 
(You may view that block here.) 
I used size 5 variegated red & pink pearl cotton floss.

TAST stands for Take A Stitch Tuesday.
It is a personal stitching challenge.
Each week, Sharon B. introduces a new stitch tutorial on her blog, Pintangle.com.
There is also a TAST Facebook group where members share some amazing work!
You may learn more about TAST here.

10 comments:

Pull the other thread said...

Fantastic stitching as always!

Anthea said...

Wow Renee, your stitching looks amazing... the starfish is beautiful! It must be so satisfying to learn new stitches & see them add texture & colour to your work

Katie said...

Beautiful stitches!

Queeniepatch said...

Oh, this is a stitch I love! It takes time though and often I find that I skip such time consuming stitches for something faster.

Carolyn said...

Your Open Base Picot Stitch looks amazing. I like the sheen of that thread. Your sea star is cute. Your stitches are beautiful. I've always wanted to try different types of stitches but to afraid to try and I don't know how I would use them. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Meari said...

I really like your sea star!

Pamela said...

Nice examples! I like his stitch and often use it.

Christine B said...

Beautiful stitches Renee and wonderful blocks! Christine x

Anonymous said...

Perfect use for this stitch. Thanks for the close-up, you know I love those. You are such an artist!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Nice! I love your sea star especially.