Monday, October 10, 2016

Twilight Duel Update 14 October 2016

Wow! The 2nd Monday of October is already here. 

Last month I shared this progress picture of Twilight Duel - the Heaven and Earth Designs cross stitch based on artwork by the amazing Ruth Thompson.

I added over 5,000 stitches this month! (I guess there is nothing like a challenge deadline to motivate me...)





As I began the project August 30, 2015, I like to take a photo of my progress on the 30th of each month.

This is how it looked on September 30, 2016.

For those of you that use Q-snap frames, is there a good way to avoid the line the clamps are leaving on my fabric? Any advice is welcome. With the time put into this piece I really do not want to damage it. 


On October 9th, I finished page 8! 

You may remember, I was working on a Parking Challenge for the New Official Heaven and Earth Designs Facebook Group. I met the October 15th deadline. 

Part of the white dragon's mouth appeared, as did a tiny bit of a knee!

32,342 stitches are done, so there are 115,258 stitches to go...

After submitting my photos for the challenge, I worked in the threads I had parked on pages 7 and 9. I still have a few to finish on page 14. Then I plan to finish page 3.









Percent Complete:
Project: 21.91%          (It was 18.34%)
Page 1: 100% - Done
Page 2: 100% - Done
Page 3: 14.14%           (Same)
Page 4: 100% - Done
Page 5: 1.83%             (Same)
Page 7: 7.08%             (It was 2.95%)
Page 8: 100% - Done  (It was 36.75%)
Page 9: 2.73%             (It was 0.22%)
Page 10: 0.25%           (Same)
Page 14: 1.83%           (It was 0%)

Page 8 Milestones (4th page completed)

  • Finished the 1st skein of white.
  • Finished the 2nd skein of white. (I am now using the 3rd of the 5 white skeins I purchased for this project.)
  • Surpassed 30,000 stitches!
  • It is now more than 20% complete!



I am linking up with the Monday Stitchery Link Party #79 at Super Mom - No Cape this week. Please visit to see the free vintage embroidery design shared and to see what others shared.

If you do any hand embroidery, please join the party!



15 comments:

Christine B said...

This is looking fantastic Renee! You have made so much great progress this month! Christine x

Pamela said...

This is really taking shape! Great progress.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

It's an ongoing issue about lines left when using Q frames and embroidery hoops in general. The only thing I know of is to remove the embroidery from the frame each time you finish stitching...not an ideal solution I know.

Anonymous said...

Wow, the statistics are awesome! OVER 20% done. =) It's an impressive advance last month.

Queeniepatch said...

5000 stitches/month . you are running at high speed!

Justine said...

You really are a fast stitcher! This looks amazing. I find putting pieces of felt between the qsnaps and stitching helps (tip courtesy of The Twisted Stitcher).

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

You do an abundance of stitching!! I love it when you post progress. Its' going to be such a lovely completed piece.
xx, Carol

Pull the other thread said...

Wow 5000 stitches that is amazing. As to the Q snap issue as has been mentioned removing the frame is a possible solution. When I have to put the clamp over stitched areas I put some white felt between the clamp and the fabric which helps stop damage to the stitching but I only leave the piece in the frame for the length of time I am stitching then take it off again.

Summer said...

Looking wonderful! Have a great rest of your week ♥

CathieJ said...

I am amazed at the progress you have made in such a short time. Beautiful.

crazyQstitcher said...

Your dedication is paying off. The dragon's face is appearing and maybe next month will be filled.
Looking good.

You are amazing to keep so well on track with the project.

Renee said...

Thank you, Summer! I hope your week is going well!

Anthea said...

Hi Renee
What a great way of keeping track of your progress, it's so satisfying to see the changes over time.
As for the q-snap, I don't use mine heaps, so I'll do my best to try describing a tip - you could try turning the clip-on bit around a bit so it's not actually pressing down on the fabric... might require taking them off & then re-clipping them back on to create good tension again. If that's not making sense, i'll take some pics & email them to you. Might help, might not!

Anthea said...

Another thought, would a strip of quilt wadding fit between the stitching fabric & the clip-on? I think I recall seeing that somewhere

Tiffstitch said...

Great progress! I like to tuck in the threads too, nice work. I use felt under my Qsnaps, and that helps a little.