Monday, March 21, 2016

IHSW Update and CQJP 2016 February Block Seam 1

For International Hermit Stitch Weekend (IHSW), I worked two projects. 

First, I worked on my Heaven and Earth Designs Twilight Duel Chart based upon artwork by Ruth Thompson.

It is spring break here and both of my boys are home. I worked on this before the boys were up in the morning. This photo shows how the section I worked on before I began. 


This is how it looks now. The 127 stitches I added were all shades of blue and mostly filled in between these two white wing tips. Some stitches also filled in beneath the bottom wing tip.

My next full update on this piece will be on April 11th - the 2nd Monday of the month. I hope to have a lot more progress by then.


The second project I worked on has been silently screaming for my attention. I finally pieced my Crazy Quilt Journal Project (CQJP) 2016 February block last week. While my boys enjoyed a little bit of computer time together on Saturday, I embellished the first seam.


CQJP 2106 February Block Seam 1
Some of you are familiar with the Joyful Embellishments group Valerie Bothell began on Facebook last year. I am trying to incorporate the seam combinations (and motifs) I have not completed into some of my current works. I took a look at the Pinterest board Valerie set up with all of the stitches and decided to add #218 to my block. First, I used a mechanical pencil and lightly traced a curved line from Sharon B.'s Crazy Quilt Template Set 2 that was perfect for this seam. Using green size 8 Anchor pearl cotton, I stem-stitched along the traced line. Next, I added detached chain stitches (lazy daisies) to each vine. Finally, six French knots were added to the tip of each vine using size 8 DMC #498 pearl cotton.

You may learn more about IHSW here. I do hope you will stop by and see the stitching the other participants completed this weekend! You will find links to their blogs here.


I am also linking up with Monday Stitchery Link Party #50 at Super Mom - No Cape! (Wow, this link party has been going for nearly a year already!) I do hope you will stop by to see the free embroidery pattern and to check out the work other bloggers have shared. 

If you stitch, I do encourage you to join the fun! IHSW happens the third weekend of each month and the Stitchery Link Party is every Monday. 

This weekend, I also managed to work in our garden boxes and to pull a lot of weeds from the backyard. (There are still a lot to go, as the rains have kept me from them.) Our family also made a trip into Portland, Oregon. We visited Powell's City of Books (I LOVE Powell's and encourage you to visit if you are ever in Portland.) We had lunch at the Deschute's Brewery Portland Public House. (They have a gluten-free menu and worked with me to ensure my meal had no dairy or egg either.) Portland Saturday Market was our next destination. (Loving crafts as much as I do, visiting the vendors at Saturday Market is always a treat!) Then, we made our way to Guardian Games. Our eldest son went with us last year when a Dutch relative was visiting, but our youngest had never been. He was impressed (and possibly a little overwhelmed) by the number of games. We spent the evening playing the board game my eldest chose for his birthday gift. It was a wonderful weekend full of family time. 

I do hope you enjoyed your weekend! Thank you so much for visiting.
Renee

Please note: I am not affiliated with any of the shops or products linked to in this post. I added them in case anyone reading was curious. However, I did receive set 2 of Sharon B.'s crazy quilt templates to review and I do love using them.




12 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I can definitely see your progress! Sounds like a wonderful time was had by your family - so nice to be able to spend time together. Looking forward to a grandson-play-date (thinly disguised as Easter lunch!) this weekend and then our road trip to meet our as-yet-unborn grandbaby in the fall. Can't wait!

Katie said...

Beautiful progress even if small. It's still 127 stitches you don't have to do next time. Love your new seam. Turned out beautiful! Glad you guys had fun in Portland. We love board games in our family too.

Christine B said...

Sounds like you had the prefect weekend Renee and you even managed to get some stitching done too! Love the first seam of your February CQJP block and you are making great progress on the cross stitch too! Have a lovely week! Christine x

Angela S said...

Your projects are really beautiful! Love that seam on your crazy quilt block. Looks to be fabulous once it's done. :)

Brigitte said...

Your family weekend in Portland must have been great.There was something for everyone to enjoy.
Great progress on your HAED. OH, and what a nice seam on your February block.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

What a busy fun weekend!! Gosh your seam is perfect.
Happy Easter

Anthea said...

Great work getting some stitching done while the kids are occupied Renee!

Carolyn said...

Renee,
Hello! Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I am now a follower of your blog. Your progress on Twilight Duel looks great. Your February block looks really good. Nicely done. I pulled weeds on Saturday and Sunday and glad its done. Sounds like you had a wonderful time spending it with your family. Thank you for sharing.

Renee said...

Angela, thank you!

Rita said...

Thanks for your kind comment on my blog. You do a lot of beautiful stitching!

Renee said...

Thank you, Rita!

Joysze said...

Awesome IHSW progress, Renee!! Your Portland trip sounds super fun!!! :D