Friday, March 6, 2015

Marked Off the To Do List!


If you followed my Work In Progress (WIP) Wednesday posts last year, you may remember one of my long-term goals was to paint our guest bathroom.  I wanted to surprise my husband with this one and he was working from home at the time. So, I needed to wait for him to be out and about long enough to complete the task. He is working at a company office again, so yesterday the work (fun?) began right after he and the boys left the house.

Ironically, before I got started I enjoyed a cup of coffee while reading a few blogs I follow and discovered that Laurie, at 111 LaLa Lane, had just painted her laundry room. (She added stripes and it looks fantastic!) She asked me to share pictures of my bathroom makeover, so they are below.

Before I get into the before and after pictures, I want to encourage you to read this inspirational post Laurie shared about Whitney, a young mother battling cancer. (Whitney's story left tears in my eyes. She and her family are in my prayers.) And, if you love old buildings, you will also enjoy the photos Laurie shared of this old church. They make me wish I could not only visit, but restore the building to its original glory.

Yesterday, our guest bathroom transformed from plain white to a soft shade of green. (The color is Quietude from Sherwin Williams.)
Our guest bathroom is a bit small, so getting a good angle for pictures was tricky.



Here is a close-up of the cross-stitch hanging on the wall. In 1996, I stitched this using the chart for "The Blue Gardenia" in the 1995 Stoney Creek Collections Cherished Heritage booklet. (The booklet is available at Amazon.com here. Please note: at the time of this post, the prices listed at Amazon range from $13.88 to $14.95. The price on the cover is only $6.50, so you may be able to find it for less elsewhere. I am sharing the link so you can see the cover of the booklet if you are interested.)

The bathroom seemed the perfect place for this little outhouse.


Hmm... Taking a picture of a bathroom mirror without including your own reflection is not easy; thus, the partial view.



Due to finals and the end of the trimester, my boys (nicknamed Monkey and Mutt) had a half day of school yesterday. The smell of paint met them at the door when they came home, letting them know exactly what I was up to. Mutt went directly upstairs to escape the scent, so I opened the house up to let it air out. My husband was happily surprised when he returned home from work.



This morning, I put up the window clings and shamrock garland I purchased a few years ago to decorate for March. (I always look for decorations when they are marked 50% off after holidays.) 

Another item is marked off my To Do List and our guest bathroom is all dressed up for our dinner party tomorrow night. 

Thank you so much for stopping by!
Renee

8 comments:

Christine B said...

Hi Renee! Your guest bathroom looks lovely! I love the colour you have painted it! :) x

Queeniepatch said...

Isn't it amazing what a difference a lick of paint can make? It looks like a new room, and I do like the garland, too.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh! I can't believe what a difference that color makes! What color is that???? I might need it in MY bathroom. =)

lynn cockrell said...

Your bathroom looks great! The color you chose is lovely.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Your bathroom looks great. I have a bathroom that needs a paint job. And flooring....do you travel?

SuperMomNoCape said...

Your guest bathroom turned out great. It always amazes me how a simple change of color can make such a difference to the personality of a room.

Laurie said...

Oh Renee, I'm just getting in from a movie and just now saw your post. Your bathroom is gorgeous!!!!! I love the color. It looks sort of like a sea blue almost....one of my favorite colors and it really makes the room look bigger. You are a very neat painter. I have trouble with the trim. I make a mess sometimes. I can almost smell your paint myself, haha! I really do love it! Thank you so much for the shout out for my blog. You are just the sweetest thing. I've enjoyed getting to know you and look forward to many more posts together. Have a great weekend!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Such a pretty re-do! Funny how the imminent arrival of guests spurs us on to do those projects that have been waiting for so long.