Sunday, July 15, 2012

Crazy Quilt Days 26 & 27


Whoo Hoo!!! Yesterday, I finally managed to complete the satin-stitched word, "winter" on my January block.  I'm not too happy with the "e", but I can read the word, so I will take it!  I told my husband I can definitely tell when I enjoy a stitch and when I do not.  My eagerness to pick up the block and make some progress tells it all.

Last night, we joined my in-laws and several of their friends - a wonderful group of people - to play Pinochle.  They really only needed one of us to play, so I arrived with my block to keep me busy.  There were ooh's and aah's.  My plans were to complete my first crazy quilt by next June so I could enter it in the state fair - just for fun.  My mother-in-law suggested that I think about entering it in a big quilt show they have at the Expo Center in Portland, Oregon every year instead.  That sounds quite intimidating to a beginner like me.  I am looking forward to visiting the quilt show with my mother-in-law and a friend of hers this fall though!

I finished up on "winter" and added a ceramic snowman button and some snowflakes (white glass seed beads size 11/0.)  I purchased several buttons at Acorns and Threads in May, but failed to write down any information about them.  Luckily, I found the snowman button on-line, so I can give you more information.  It was a Debbie Mumm #43022 Snowman 3/4" by 1 1/8" button.

I think I have decided to go through with my original plan for the word, "January" on the block.  I have 2 ideas of how to make it work, so I will be playing with my doodle cloth first.  That is one of the 4 items I have left to complete on this block.  It is nearly done - although I anticipate a few of those items to take a fair amount of time.

January block - with only 4 items to complete!
After the January block, I plan to work on March.  I am a little nervous about that, though!  October was first because I loved the fabrics and thought it would be a fun block to work on.  February was next, because it was the perfect month to try out some of the prettier seam treatments.  January followed, because I had specific ideas in mind.  March will be interesting.  Although there are a few vague ideas tumbling around in my brain, there are no specific plans.  It should be interesting!  March was chosen next so that I will be able to assemble the first row of the crazy quilt, to give me an idea of what it may look like when it is finished.  Fun, fun, fun!

Thank you so much for stopping by!  I wish you a wonderful week.

Hugs,
Renee

No comments: