Friday, July 6, 2012

Patriotism Quilt Contest

A friend of mine through CQI (Crazy Quilting International) always emails me the best links to sites.  Last week she sent me a link to The Quilting Gallery, so I could check out their Beginner's Quilt-Along.  (I must admit, I am eager to step in and join, but I am trying to stick to my rule.  I need to finish at least 2 of my UFOs before I can begin a new project.  It's a lot harder than it sounds!) 

While visiting The Quilting Gallery, I stumbled across their weekly quilt contest.  My morning cup of coffee was all the more enjoyable while I was viewing the amazing quilts displayed in last week's Summertime Fun Quilt Contest.  Then, I noticed that this week's theme was Patriotism.

One of my first quilts (the third or fourth one I made) fit that theme perfectly.  I made it for my dad for Christmas in 2004.  I believe I used a pattern from a book I had checked out of the library, Quick Quilts to Make in a Weekend, by Rosemary Wilkinson.  My dad was retired from the military, so I decided to use an assortment of patriotic fabrics.  It was a very simple quilt - perfect for a novice like me; however, I loved the combination of colors and designs in the fabrics.
Dad's Patriotic Quilt

 I decided to enter a picture of the quilt I made for Dad into the weekly quilt contest - just for kicks and giggles.  Trust me, I have no illusions of winning.  I just thought it would be fun.  Voting will be open from about 8 a.m. on Friday morning through 8 a.m. Monday morning  I encourage you to visit, enjoy the wonderful creativity, and vote for your favorite entry (or entries, last week you could vote for 3).  The contest is open to other countries, so I look forward to viewing them myself!

Thanks so much for visiting, I wish you all a wonderful weekend!

No comments: