Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Crazy Quilt Day 29

Beginning "JANUARY"
Yesterday, I did manage to make some progress on this block!  In the past, any applique I had done was with the use of double-sided fusible webbing and stitching over the raw edges.  In this case, I really wanted the letters to look as much like scarves as I could manage.  So, I folded the raw edges underneath and pinned the letters on.  Each letter used a single strip of fabric, manipulated into the desired shape.  I began with a longer strip of fabric than I needed, to make sure I had enough length to make the letter.  Next, I trimmed it, leaving enough at each end to turn the fabric under to cover the raw edges.  This process felt like it took longer than actually stitching the letters on.

My attempt at "scarf letters."
Obviously, my stitches are not evenly spaced (I need to work on that!)  There are more stitches at the ends, where the edges have been tucked under, to keep any fraying threads from escaping.  And, I used fewer stitches on the sections of letters I hope to cover with snowmen.  (I have yet to attempt that!)  I decided to wait to add the fringes to the scarves until after the snowmen have been put in place.

The letters would probably be much easier to manipulate into shape, had I cut the fabric on the bias (diagonally.)  I guess I am a glutton for punishment.  I really wanted the stripes to line up this way for the letters, so a bias cut just was not going to work for me. 

Thanks for checking in!


No comments: