The letters consist of scarves and snowmen. I considered making bullion stitches side-by-side to make the scarves (tested in the lower-right corner), or using applique. In the end, I opted to go for the applique using a blue and white striped cloth. I cut a one-half inch strip of the fabric, so the stripes would be consistent with the stripes in an actual scarf. Next, I ironed the edges underneath, to avoid fraying edges. At first, I attempted to use a buttonhole stitch to tack the letter "J" down, but I decided I liked the simplicity of tiny straight stitches much more. At the bottom of the "J" I used lazy daisy stitches for the tassels. At the top I tried straight stitches. The lazy daisy stitches won my vote.
Next, I struggled trying to figure out how to make the letters fit into the space on the block. The practice "J" above was about 1.25 inches long. "JANUARY" would not fit on the dark blue strip of fabric, even somewhat staggered, at that size. So, my goal will be to fit each letter into a three-quarter inch section of the block.
|Preparing to add "JANUARY" to the block.|
If it turns out, it should be really cute! (My fingers are crossed...)
Thanks again for stopping by!