Sunday, September 13, 2020

Twilight Duel: SAL Update 10

 


Over the past 3 weeks, I have added 1,358 stitches to my Heaven and Earth Twilight Duel cross-stitch. 

75,236 of 147,600 stitches are complete.

The photo below shows how it looked in our last update.


There are only 305 stitches remaining on page 9, so I hope to have it finished by our next update.

Updates on this project are shared every third Sunday as a part of a  Stitch Along (SAL) with other talented bloggers. I hope you will visit them to see what they are working on! We each choose our own project to work on and we live in different parts of the world. If you visit someone's blog and their post is not up yet, please check back again later. Our next SAL update will be on October 4th.

Earlier this week, I reached out to Avis just in case I was unable to share this update due to wildfires in our area. To be honest, it feels like the west coast is on fire. California, Washington, Idaho and Oregon all have several wildfires. 

Here in Oregon, some of these fires were caused by lightning. I believe others were caused by strong winds carrying embers. However, there have also been a couple of arrests for arson. 

This wildfire season is unlike any I have ever experienced. Friends of mine in various parts of the state live in or near evacuation zones. 

Thankfully, our town and home have been safe. Only a few miles away, neighbors, friends, and coworkers have been in Stage 2 (Be Ready) and Stage 3 (Go!) Evacuation areas. 4 fires are within a 30 minute drive from our home in various directions. It is crazy.

The air quality in our area has hazardous levels of smoke and ash. A few days ago, the sky was red as far as the eye could see. (Now it is just a hazy gray limiting visibility.) Some businesses have cut their hours or closed until further notice to protect their employees and their customers. 

I am so incredibly thankful for the firefighters, police, and other rescue workers risking everything to keep us safe. They are in my prayers.

Thankfully, the past couple of days have not been as windy, the winds have changed direction, and temperatures have cooled down. This has helped with the fires. Last night, some of the Stage 2 areas near us were reduced to Stage 1. There is a chance of rain early this week, that we are all praying will help. 

So far, 9 lives have been lost to the fires in Oregon. There are still several people missing. It is heartbreaking. 

I am sending safe wishes to you all.

Hugs,
Renee


17 comments:

CathieJ said...

Stay safe Renee. I will pray for rain....lots of it. Here in NY we've been watching the horrifying images and praying for the best. How in the world do you keep track of the actual number of stitches that you put in? Over 3000 is amazing. Some more of the black dragon is just starting to show.

Sewing Beside the Sea said...

I believe the fires can now be seen from space. It's horrendous for everyone caught up in this and we're all thinking of you and yours from far away. Stay safe Renee! Lovely stitching as always :-)

Carole said...

Great progress on your beautiful dragons!

I've been reading about the fires and I cannot imagine what it must be like to be in the middle of it. It's just horrific to see the loss of life and devastation. I hope that you remain safe and the fires subside soon x

Mary Margaret Ripley said...

Renee we are praying for relief from all of this devastation for you! Stay safe. Your project looks wonderful

Anonymous said...

stay safe! and here's hoping you finish page 9 soon ^^
claire93

nwpaintedlady said...

My thoughts are with you. My daughter and family are in Clackamas County, yes level 2 to 1 meant my daughter to could head home today - thankfully. Continued prayers for a change in weather and rain. Your doing a great job on your project. Stay safe ~

Magpie Sue said...

Wow, I had no idea you were in the midst of the fires. I don't even want to imagine what it must be like to live in readiness to evacuate. And the smoke! It's bad enough up here where we are, I don't know how we would cope where you are. Been praying right along with you and everyone else. Meanwhile, you're at the halfway point in your stitch count (or a little beyond)! Well done!

K Reeves said...

Praying for rain, and that you all stay safe! Your progress is amazing, and I do hope you are able to finish page 9 amidst all the chaos!

Lindashee said...

You've made wonderful progress despite all that's going on. I hope things get under control soon and that you and your family can stay safe.

Christine B said...

It is awful to see these wildfires ravaging the countryside and my heart goes out to those who have lost their homes and even worse those who have lost their lives. Glad that you are remaining safe Renee and I hope that continues. Hugs Christine xx

Gun said...

I hope you will all be safe!

Laura said...

I've been watching the fires on the news. I hope they are under control soon. Stay safe!

Pyros & Patch said...

I am very sorry for the emergency you are experiencing! You are in my thoughts! The dragon continues to grow well, you are really fast!
Hugs,Carmela

Queeniepatch said...

It is most disturbing to see the news about the wildfires. My heart goes out to all who have lost lives, possessions and homes, and to all those who work so hard to fight the fires.
You have managed to put in a lot of stitches in the 'dragon dance'.
Stay safe!

Sunny said...

Oh, Renee! I'm echoing what Sue said -- I didn't realize you were in Oregon and I can't imagine the conditions where you are! Here's hoping for rain to put out the fires and winds to clear the smoke. Stay safe and hang in there.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

The fires are terrifying to see and so hard to believe the sheer number and areas affected. I'm so glad that you're okay where you are - be safe. The smoke reached this far and made our sun/sky look really strange.
Glad you have your stitching to help you deal!

Katie said...

Gorgeous progress!! I'm so glad you have stayed safe in these fires. I've been watching your posts on Facebook and sending positive thoughts. I did hear your area is getting rain finally or at least will be soon. They talked about it on the weather channel. I sure hope it stops all these crazy fires.