Thursday, March 30, 2017

Sun, Sand & Sea BOM Block 2


Last night, I shared this sneak peek on Instagram.

Last year some of my blogging friends participated in the Sew Incredibly Crazy & Friends In Our Garden Block of the Month. The blocks were so cute, I frequently wished I had made the time to participate. (You may see one of the completed quilts here.) 

In late February, I learned there was a Sun, Sand and Sea Block of the Month and decided I would try to make the time this year.


If I understand correctly, each block pattern is free the month it is introduced and there is a linky party at the end of the month with a drawing for those that participate. 

Block 1 is Hello Sunshine designed by Amy at Sew Incredibly Crazy. I have picked out my fabrics, but have yet to attempt my first dresden plate pattern.

You may find the information here and find the pattern here.


Block 2 is Time to Surf designed by Carol of Just Let Me Quilt.

You may find the information about the block here and find the pattern here. It is free in March.

I was able to use fabrics from my stash to create this block. There was even a roll of Therm O Web Heat N Bond Lite Iron-on Adhesive in my stash that came in handy. 

I did not have any silver or gray fabrics for the fender or the dolphins, so I colored fabric with Crayola crayons and ironed the wax out, as shared in this post for Valentines I made. (Speaking of Crayola... I did not even know there were Crayola Fabrics by Riley Blake until I read about this block at Just Let Me Quilt, here. How fun!)

This quilt will be a Christmas gift (possibly in 2018?) for an Oregon State University fan in my life. I made them a quilt years ago that is now threadbare and I have been told several times they need a new one. 

I have not filled in the license plate yet, as I might personalize it. 

This was my first time using a buttonhole stitch to secure applique. I tried my sewing machine for the first cloud I completed and then opted to just hand stitch around the remaining pieces. (Embroidery is in my comfort zone. When it comes to my sewing machine, I still feel like a novice!)

Block 3 will be designed by Carla of Creatin' in the Sticks. I saw a sneak peek of it on the Sew Incredibly Crazy and Friends Block of the Month Facebook Group. It looks like another fun block! You may find the group here.

As this will be a Christmas gift, I will also be sharing my blocks on the 1 X-mas Item a Month Blog.

Thank you for stopping by!
Renee

Note: I am not affiliated with any of the products shared within this post.

7 comments:

Christine B said...

What a great block! It is going to be a marvellous quilt! Lots of fun! Christine x

Queeniepatch said...

Great idea and design.

claudia said...

I love the colors you used!

Carol Swift said...

Renee, I'm so glad you're playing along in the BOM!

Anonymous said...

Your blocks look great! I liked this one, too, but I had to say no. I'm so glad YOU are doing it, so I can follow someone's making it. =)

Katie said...

Too cute!! Love the dolphins of course haha.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I like the dolphins and the way you incorporated the team logo on the umbrella. Great fun - and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the blocks in the series.