Monday, November 10, 2014

CQI Heart DYB RR 2014 - My blocks are home!

My blocks from the Crazy Quilting International Heart Do Your Block Round Robin made their way home a few days ago and they are WONDERFUL!  I do not generally brag (in fact, I have a hard time accepting compliments), but I must admit I am one lucky lady.


Tahlia H. in Washington was the first to receive my blocks and she chose to embellish the heart block pictured above. (You can click on a picture for a larger image.) I wish my camera could catch the beauty of her silk ribbon roses better.  They are gorgeous! The charms and dangling hearts are so much fun, and I just LOVE the way she emphasized the swirls of the fabric with white stitching.  Thank you, Tahlia!  I just love it!  (You may view more of Tahlia's beautiful work on her blog at another-hobby.blogspot.com.)
 

Tahlia mailed my blocks to Alexandra H. in Texas.  Alexandra chose to embellish the "V" block.  The seam work is fabulous, the charms are darling, and I just love the tatted heart.  I adore the little white heart beads.  It is hard to tell from the picture, but several of the seams are worked with metallic floss.  That stuff is not easy to stitch with, but adds a beautiful shimmer.  I just love this block!  (Alexandra has a pattern store on Craftsy.com.  I just may have to try making the pumpkin mug rug pattern she offers for free.  You may check out her patterns here.)


Alexandra mailed the blocks to Barbara W. in Missouri.  Barbara chose to work on the heart block pictured above.  This was my second round robin with Barbara, and I just love that the embellishments she uses have a story of their own. This block will forever pull on my heart-strings. The pearl beads on this block were recycled from a wedding gown and gifted to Barbara from a sweet friend of hers that uses the fabrics of unwanted wedding gowns to make shrouds for stillborn infants.  Such a sweet thing to do...  The silvery pearly white thread is a new one from Japan. And, the vintage pearl button with the ladybug was painted by Gerry Krueger.  (You may know of Gerry through her amazing blog with wonderful tutorials at olderrose.blogspot.com and/or through her Etsy shop.)  While Gerry was working on her Suffrage Quilt, she and Barbara swapped buttons. Many of the buttons on the second lace heart are vintage pearl buttons, too.  This block is a treasure with a story of its own. I see it and think of love, loss, and passion.  Thank you, Barbara - for your lovely work and for sharing the stories of these lovely treasures.


Barbara mailed my blocks to Kathy S. in Maryland.  Kathy chose the "L" block.  I love the seam work, and the sequin trim.  Her heart is fabulous - you should see the way both the floss and the beads play with the light!  The lace heart with the heart button (that she found in Rhode Island) is darling.  And the flowers in the heart are just amazing!  Thank you, Kathy! I love it!


Kathy mailed my blocks to Lisa B. in Colorado.  Lisa chose the "O" block.  Her love and talent for fancy seam work is obvious on this block.  I cannot pick a favorite part.  I love that she added a few white silk ribbon roses that tie in perfectly with the ones Tahlia stitched.  The heart charm and heart beads are wonderful. And, I love the way the silver threads swirl along the lower-left seam, much like the swirls in the fabric in that corner.  Thank you, Lisa!  It is wonderful!  (You may see more of Lisa's lovely work on her blog at ivoryblushroses.blogpot.com.)

This leaves me with the "E" block to complete, but that will be a project for the year 2015.

Thank you so much for stopping by and seeing the lovely work everyone completed on my blocks.

Hugs,
Renee

6 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

I can't imagine how excited you must have been to open the package and find all these fantastic blocks. There is a story in every one and you have documented these stories well.
Your ARE a lucky lady!

Renee said...

Queenie, I think my 17-year-old chuckled and shook his head as I squealed with delight and clapped my hands when my blocks arrived. There truly is a story in every one and I cherish them all. The ladies in this round robin are all so sweet and talented. Thank you!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

What fun!! Each and every one of these blocks is so special and you can see (pun absolutely intended!) the love that went into each one.

Renee said...

So true. I could not have said it better myself!

Anonymous said...

Oh can't wait to see what you end up doing with the E block! The rest of them look great. :)

Renee said...

Everyone did such GORGEOUS work! I hope I can do the E justice. It will be fun to put all of these together.