Monday, January 25, 2016

CQI UTS RR#2 - Mary's Block Completed!

Last week, I completed my work on Mary's block in the Crazy Quilting International (CQI) Round Robin.

This was how the block looked before embellishment.

The fabrics Mary chose for her blocks are just lovely!

In the little booklets we send out with our blocks, Mary mentioned that she loves bling. Nothing says bling like a treasure chest, to me. This chest is filled with gold coins, emeralds, sapphires and a pearl necklace.

The fish was a gift from Barbara Nicki Lee. It seemed perfect for this block!

In our first round robin together, I added a seahorse and embroidered jellies to Mary's block. (You may see that block here.) To make this one a bit different, I added a button jelly. The rick rack was hand dyed as part of the ICQC #102 course I took from Kathy Shaw.

I stepped out of my comfort zone with this block. Trims and laces are challenging to me, but I incorporated several trims Mary included in the goody bag she sent. I also added a beautiful piece of hand dyed lace from Barbara Nicki Lee's Etsy shop, Raviolee Dreams, as coral.

Clusters of buttons and charms are also outside my comfort level. However, I added a small cluster of shells and sea stars at the base of the treasure chest.

This block also has a small seahorse - a charm this time. 

The green vine to the left of the seahorse was inspired by the gorgeous vines Barbara Nicki Lee incorporated into her block. I thought it would help tie the blocks together a bit more. 

I could not resist adding tiny little fish amidst the vegetation.
The turtle was a fun addition. I love the way he is almost hiding within the fun green trim.

Here are all of Mary's embellished blocks together. These were embellished by Annette, Kathy, Barbara Nicki Lee and myself. (Better pictures of these blocks were in my previous post about Mary's Blocks.)

I do hope Mary likes the newest addition to her set. (If you would like to see Mary's work on my block for this round robin, she shared it in this post on her blog.)

These will be mailed out in February and I will receive my last set to work on.

Crazy Quilting International (CQI) is a group that meets on Facebook and on Yahoo! You may see some of the work members have done at the CQI blog.


I am linking up with the Monday Stitchery Link Party at Super Mom - No Cape! I do hope you will visit to see what the free embroidery pattern is this week and to discover what others have been up to. If you have a blog and do any hand stitching, I encourage you to join the party.

Thanks for stopping by!
Renee

13 comments:

Lin said...

What a beautiful block! You may have been out of your comfort zone but it does not show. Lovely! xx

Christine B said...

What a fabulous block you have created Renee! I love all the details... the tiny fish, the seahorse charm and all the beautiful seaweeds.... exquisite! Christine x

Anonymous said...

Your block is just wonderful, every bit of it. I always love that you do the close-ups so I can really see what you did. I like the fact that you can step out of your comfort zone so successfully. That block is way outside my comfort zone, because there's so much, but it's beautiful and goes right along with the others. Congratulations!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I really like this one Renee! I think it's one of my favourites. Especially love that wee turtle and the jellyfish made from the sparkly button is wonderful.

CathieJ said...

Oh my goodness that block is gorgeous. All of the others are too. I also really love the snowman waving his mittens in your header.

Heather said...

I love the treasure chest! Good job stepping out of that comfort zone!

Gina said...

another gorgeous block. I love the idea of the treasure chest xx

Katie said...

Oh no. I love it! I love treasure chests and this one is perfect. Great job!!!

crazyQstitcher said...


wWonderful work on the block, Renee.
The treasure chest is great.

Brigitte said...

Wonderful, this block. And you came up with some gorgeous ideas for the bling :)

Laura said...

Your embroidery and choice of embellishments are perfect!

JennyPennyPoppy said...

A wonderful block and beautifully embroidered and embellished. Just lovely :)

SuperMomNoCape said...

Oh Renee... you did amazing work on Mary's block. Several of the items may have been outside your comfort zone but you've done a wonderful job of incorporating them.

Thanks so much for linking up to this week's Stitchery Link Party and for the wonderful link back! Aloha hugs!