Tuesday, August 5, 2014

TAST 08/05/14

This week, I have two TAST (Take A Stitch Tuesday) stitches to share - stitches 14 and 15.  (Click the link to learn more about TAST and click on any photo for a larger view.)

TAST 14: Stem Stitch

TAST #14: Stem Stitch
Using a strand of EdMar Glory #048 rayon floss, I created a main stem stitched vine with closely spaced stitches.  (I lightly traced the curve of a nickle on the back of the fabric over the seam.  I accidentally centered one curve a bit farther to the left than I intended.  So, I just added several shorter curves for flower stems and stem stitched them into place.)  The leaves were created with a fish bone stitch.  And the flower buds are a lazy daisy stitch using a thin pink ribbon I found at Friendship Crossing (I am not affiliated with the shop) in Corvallis.  The name brand is Neon Rays and it is color #N11.

TAST 15: French Knot

TAST #15: French Knot
Usually, I prefer topping these lazy daisy (detached chain stitch) flowers with a seed bead.  I had the perfect color picked out.  However, if you note the small black thread in the upper-left corner, that is the seam line for this block.  In general, I try to avoid placing any beads within 1/4th inch of the seam.  (Sewing can sometimes be tricky when the foot does not like going over a bead.)  So, I decided to use 2 strands of a slightly lighter shade of DMC cotton floss to make a French knot where the 3 petals meet. It was a perfect solution.





To see this week's TAST stitch and what other stitches others have played with this week, check out this post and the links in the comments at Pintangle.com.

Thank you for stopping by!

Hugs,
Renee

12 comments:

Pamela said...

Very pretty!

Renee said...

Thank you, Pamela!

Annet said...

Lovely seams, Renee. When I want my beads close to the seam, I put them in a seperate ziplock baggie with a note and attach them when the blocks are sewn together.

Renee said...

Annet, it never occurred to me to do that for my own blocks! I did that with a round robin block once and almost chose to do the same with this one. Great idea!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Pretty seams.

crazyQstitcher said...

Lovely work. I like the use of the pink ribbon. Haven't tried that.

carorose said...

Looking good.

Queeniepatch said...

The Stem stitch and French Knot are simple and easy stitches but you can make stunning things with them, as you have shown. Great work!

Renee said...

Thank you, Linda!

Renee said...

Thank you! It was my first experience with this brand. It separates more easily than silk ribbon, but I liked the way it looks on the block.

Renee said...

Thank you! I love watching the progress on your sampler!

Renee said...

What a sweet thing to say! The stem stitch has come in very, very handy on this block (which I hope to share tomorrow.)