Thursday, August 7, 2014

My First Postcard Swap

Oregon State Fabric Postcard
As mentioned on my Goal List in my WIP Wednesday post this week, I made my first fabric postcard for a swap with the CQ for Newbies Yahoo Group. (Let me just say this is a very fun, supportive group of ladies.  I spent about a year lurking - reading emails and enjoying eye candy - before I actually participated in a swap.  The emails frequently leave me smiling.)

The theme of the swap was states, so my very first fabric postcard is Oregon themed.  (And if my sister sees it, I may need to make another one!)

In my world, an Oregonian is expected to be either an Oregon State University Beaver fan OR a University of Oregon Duck fan.  (Don't tell anyone, but I secretly cheer for both.)  I have 3 relatives that graduated from Oregon State, making me a Beaver fan.  So, I decided my postcard would be orange and black.  (I do my best not to sound negative, so let me just say almost every Beaver fan I know would have felt the same... I was thrilled to have some fabric I purchased before they changed the Benny the Beaver logo.  Why? Well, you can actually see a duck flying in Benny's eye with the new logo.)

I Googled free Oregon coloring sheets, downloaded a page with a picture of the state map (including a star for Salem, the capital) and printed it from Picasa (my photo program) in a 4 x 6 size.  I held the page up to a window and traced the outline with a sharpie.  Then, I held muslin over the outline and used a pencil to trace the reverse image onto the muslin.  This muslin became the back of my crazy quilt block.

I wanted the state outline to stand out, so I kept most of the stitching subtle, using mostly black-on-black.  These close ups might help you see some of the detail. (Click on any photo for a larger view.)




Then, I couched down 6 strands of DMC orange cotton floss, carefully following the outline on the muslin backing.  A star bead for Salem was the finishing touch. (Sorry, I did not realized there was a shadow of me holding the camera on the lower-left side or I would have taken a better pic!)
Crazy Quilted Oregon State Fabric Postcard Front
Crazy Quilted Oregon State Fabric Postcard Back

I used two fabric postcard tutorials to put mine together.  I followed the directions on this tutorial at Patchwork Posse to determine the size, thickness, and materials needed, and decorating the postcard side.. And I used this tutorial at Quilted Delights to finish off the edges.  I also used a little tip I discovered on Pinterest (I wish I knew which one, the idea just stuck in my head) and used a black sharpie to color over any areas my finishing stitches missed.  Aside from needing a bit more practice on the corners, I was very pleased with how this project turned out.  (Cris received my postcard and pointed out we are our own worst critics.  I am taking her advice and being a bit less critical of my work on the corners.) Making this postcard was SO much fun! 

I would love to thank Alice for the swap idea and Beth for being our swap hostess!  I also want to thank Lesa for reminding us of the deadline and encouraging participation.  It was FUN. And, had I not participated, this beauty from Lisa B. would not have arrived in my mailbox today! (Note: this is not the same Lisa from the Heart Round Robin I am in.)
The beautiful fabric postcard I received from Lisa.
Is this gorgeous or what?! Lisa combined the British flag and the Tennessee flag, The Union Jack is the British flag, and the three stars in the circle represents the Tennessee flag.  The gorgeous red roses represent England and the Irises represent Tennessee.  I am absolutely thrilled to begin my fabric postcard collection with this beauty.  Red, white and blue is one of my favorite color combinations and this is just fabulous.  Every time I look at it, I am reminded of a trip we made to London years and years ago, making it all the more special. 

Have you ever made a fabric postcard?  If not, I encourage you to give it a go!

Thanks for stopping by!
Renee

Note: This post was edited to correct an error.  The Union Jack is the British Flag. (Argh.  I even looked that up on the Internet to be sure I had it right before I posted.  Thank you, Wendy!)


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your post card Renee..Well done..Thanks so much for sharing... Jennie

Renee said...

Thank you! It was fun to put together. The one I received from Lisa blew me away!

Wendy said...

I'm sorry, but I've got to correct you. The Union Flag is the BRITISH flag. The St George's Cross is the English flag. The Scots and the Welsh out there would not be pleased with you for saying that!!

Renee said...

Thank you SO much! I even looked that up on the Internet to make sure I had it right before I posted, and I made sure I was not referring to Wikipedia, as I did not trust the accuracy and still read bad info. I edited the post. Thanks again! Hugs, Renee

Debbie S. said...

I love your PC we live in Oregon and your PC is very fitting for our state.

Renee said...

Thank you, Debbie! If I had more time, I planned to make a green and yellow postcard using similar U of O fabric. (My husband may have threatened to disown me, but I had all the fabric set aside.) ;)