Thursday, January 10, 2013

My First Crazy Quilted Purse Post 1

A few months ago, Jo-Ann Fabrics had a sale and their Butterick patterns were only ninety-nine cents.  Knowing I wanted to make a crazy quilted purse in the future, I bought a couple of patterns.  Last night, I decided it was time for my first attempt.

I chose purse B from Butterick's pattern number B5728.  I cut out the pattern pieces.  Then, I pinned all of the pieces I wanted to crazy quilt onto muslin.  Using a permanent fabric safe marker, I traced the patterns onto the muslin, including cutting lines, the seam lines and other notations.  After that, I pieced each section, leaving a couple of inches of muslin around each one.

Two of the pieced sections may be seen below.  One will be the front of the purse.  A pocket will cover a large section of this piece.  The second is the front of a flap that will close over the pocket.

Front of purse

Front flap of purse
This evening, I embellished two seams on the front of the purse.  (The pocket will cover a bit of both seams.)  For both seams, I used ideas from a book my husband gave me for Christmas, The Magic of Crazy Quilting: A Complete Resource for Embellished Quilting: Second Edition by J. Marsha Michler.

First, I added small flowers.  The leaves were stitched with 2 strands of DMC 954 (a light green.)  The flowers (stars) were stitched with 2 strands of DMC 4215 (a variegated blue, pink and purple floss.)
Next, I added two flowers made of lazy daisy stitches with French knot centers.  I used a single strand of Edmar Lola #093 (a variegated blue and pink rayon floss.)

I have also been working on my second CQJP 2013 block.  However, I plan to finish it before posting pictures.  I think it is about halfway there.

Thanks so much for stopping by! 
-Renee

4 comments:

Jill said...

Looking good. I've never seen stars as flowers before. I'll have to keep that in mind!

Renee said...

Thank you! J. Marsha Michler's book has pages and pages of embellishment ideas. I had not thought of that one either.

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to find that book! I did just pick up Teach Yourself to Embroider, and it has several neat looking stitches in it that I cant wait to try out.

Love the sheen of that rayon floss. And the star flowers are adorable!

(This is Michelle/Shell from Little Orphan Skein, blogger not wanting to recognize my Wordpress OpenID).

Anonymous said...

of course after I add the note in ( )...it decides it'll recognize me then! haha