|Crystal's block when I received it.|
|Crystal's block after my additions.|
The first step was determining how many seams and how many sections I should embellish. I counted 7 seams and 5 sections remaining. I needed to leave half of these for Shannon, the final person to work on Crystal's block. (Her work is absolutely amazing!)
|Gathered Silk Ribbon Roses|
It took me nearly a week to decide what to do next. I had several ideas for the purple patches of the block, but ideas for framing the little cherubs kept flitting through my mind. In the end, the idea of a frame won.
The picture measured 3-inches by 4-inches. So, I decided to make stem-stitched rosettes half an inch apart. (My doodle cloth came in very handy here. I tested out different colors and different centers until I finally had a plan.)
First, I couched down a pink metallic floss (DMC Jewel Effects E316). Next, for the center of each flower, I used a single strand of DMC 762 to attach a Mill Hill Petite Glass Bead (#42010).
Twenty-eight flowers did not seem too overwhelming... until I began. I fell in love with the silky, delicate look of DMC rayon flosses #30818 (a pale pink) and # 30211 (a light purple) that complemented the colors of this block beautifully. However, as I tore the first rosette out for the the third time, I was reminded of a comment I had read on another blog once. Someone said they found the trick to using rayon floss, was to never use rayon floss. Thankfully, by the third rosette, I finally found a way to progress without the floss knotting up. Every time I put the needle through the fabric, I double-checked the back side to make sure I had not caught the thread in the back, and that everything was pulling through evenly. Two to three rosettes per hour may seem slow; but it was a lot faster than making two to three attempts per rose - like those first two rosettes.
On my doodle cloth, the rosettes looked lovely with tiny green leaves. However, once I completed the rosettes on the actual block, I worried the additional green simply did not fit. Everyone in the house agreed. So, I left the frame with the alternating pink and purple rosettes.
The purple flower trim and the frame embellished 4 of the 7 remaining seams. This left Shannon only 3 seams to treat and one of those was tiny. So, I opted to fill only 2 of the 5 sections of the block, and felt I should probably claim one of the smaller sections, so Shannon would have some room to work. I had a lot of ideas for the small pink section. However, one of the remaining seams happened to run along that section, so I felt compelled to work on the yellow-print next to the frame I had just completed. (Confession: I find printed fabrics really tricky to embellish.)
It took me a while to figure out what to add. I remembered Crystal liked bullion roses. Mardeen made a lovely bouquet of bullion roses, so I wanted to try something a little different. I decided to try a flower made with bullion loops. I used a variegated yellow floss to make 5 bullion loops (each loop had 30 wraps around the needle.) Yellow seed beads filled the center. Next, I used a soft green floss to make a stem-stitched stem and a couple of leaves. The stem followed a curve of green on the fabric, as did each of the leaves.
I hope Crystal likes it!
Thank you for visiting,